Any thoughts? Vectric apparently missing VTransfer file

Vetric seems to be a good product for wood cutters. A lot of people on the forum use Fusion360 with good results. Carveco has been around for a while but no one talks about here very much.

Vetric is subsided by some venders for your first year. Like you I tried the trials but was frustrated by the trial limitations. I had a free Fusion subscription but they changed the rules and limited what you can do now so I flushed that. Easel is free with a pro option. Again not much discussion here about Easel.

Personally I dont like cloud based software. I bought adobe lightroom and all adobe wants is subscription based useage. Now it is supported but no updates.

Keep shopping. Oh Alibte (not sure of spelling) was offered by c3d a while back. And thete is meshcam.

1 Like

Alibre Atom3D/Workshop:

Note that Workshop bundles MeshCAM:

http://www.grzsoftware.com/

I am glad it is not just me then, Guy.

I have had a look and it is a comprehensive looking package. Pretty costly to buy the middling version ($1200) but can be had for $550 in the first year. No particular statement about term and says specifically no minimum term. This means one could try Maker Plus for a month (which I am leaning towards) for just $50. With no further commitment at least I will get to understand if it is a good fit for me.

There is specific mention of some people using it on a Mac via Bootcamp or Parallels and they are upfront in stating that they do not support it in a non, Windows environment. It appears to be the case that they are stating that a VM is a non-Windows environment as far as they are concerned.

I like their honesty if not their pricing structure. I will write to their support system via the contact page and see if their 1 month for $50 is an acceptable way to try out the software. They offer a 14 day refund if it is absolutely a non-runner so I figure that I have nothing to lose. I prefer the idea of having software that is not artificially hobbled so that I can see whether it will do what is required. They state that they do support Carbide3D, X-Carve and Ooznest amongst 300 CNC machines.

Me neither. I think it gives far too much control to the vendor and anyone who knows Adobe software applications will know that many so-called updates were less than stellar, while some software just languished with all of the legacy bloat and faults. I first fell into the creative suite trap on version one… collating all of my separate applications together. When creative Cloud came along, I jumped ship.

Yes, I will do so Guy. I think you are referring to Alibre of which I know nothing. I tried Meshcam and was unsatisfied with it. Thanks for your input. :+1: :grin:

Update: I cannot get any of the approved files to save toolpaths. The error about modified files keeps displaying when attempting a toolpath save. The approved files are allowed to be manipulated and I have changed many of the parameters but that is as far as it goes.

I have no idea why… I ran a compatibility check supplied by Carveco for their own software. It would appear that graphics may well be an issue. The Mac is using Metal rather than the Apple deprecated open GL standard in June 2018. With a 2GB graphics card, an SSD of 512 GB, 4 core i7 CPU and 2TB external storage along with16GB RAM, I feel sure that my graphics card should be able to cope. I have no idea what Direct X is and probably it is not present on the Mac.

I am also pondering whether running the software in a VM is causing these frustrating issues. Possibly my Windows OS use is wrong because I have not used it before. (Windows 3.11 does not count)

I have one solution to try right now and that is I will buy into Carveco’s monthly basic software for $15 and if I cannot get it to work, I wont have lost much money. If that is the case, I will then have to consider buying a PC just for ensuring that the CNC will work with any of the packages I have been considering.

FYI the DirectX graphics service is provided by VMWare or Parallels as an emulation. I have this switched on in VMWare and it works fine on my 2013 i7 iMAC (2TB SSD, 24GB, GTX Graphics). Run AutoCAD, SolidWorks (old version) and VCarve 10.5 in a Windows 10 Pro VM on this iMAC and it is perfectly adequate or better in terms of speed.

1 Like

Thanks Andy… it is great to know that. My version of windows is what was installed with Parallels. I wonder if I have to just get myself a paid for version to eliminate the issues.

I run (will say this quietly) Win 10 Pro-64 inside my VMWare Fusion host (iMAC), downloaded from MS (free ISO download) and not ‘got around to’ licensing it yet, erm 12m and counting ‘yet’. It will run like this perfectly happily, maintain security updates etc., it is just restricted in things like installing print drivers, customising the desktop etc - none of which matter to me as my iMAC host is superior at such things in my experience.

The dirty Microsoft secret is you can download the iso images directly from MS with all the current patches/updates, install it and not have a license. Most PCs now have the OEM supplied operating system license inbeaded in their BIOS. Now a MAC has a BIOS but it is quite different than a PC based one. So once you install you set up a local account and not a Microsoft Login. Even if you want to log in through Microsoft (aggravating to me) they seem to never enforce the licensing. If they ever do then pay up then and only then. Microsoft is such a poor operating system with security flaws out the wazzo that they should be paying me to use their POC. I am not encouraging you to steal but I am encouraging you to take an free extended demo.

If you download the ISO image they have all versions of MS Win 10 on that disk. The disk will pick what you already have to install. So if you already have Home version it will install home. I have not installed on a bare metal system that did not have an OEM license embeded in the BIOS so maybe you get a choice in your MAC environment. If you have a choice choose the Pro version. The Pro version has the most drivers available above and beyond the home version.

Finally! I have managed to carve a file using a Vectric created toolpath. It could not have been done without the unstinting and selfless assistance from @AndyC; who was working with me behind the scenes. The file was cut with a ¼" Amana 2 flute straight cutter for both the roughing and the profile pass. I used an angled taper 1mm ball end mill for the finishing pass.

The piece can stand some finishing but the 1mm ball end mill left a respectable finish. There was either a fault in the wood (oak made from composite blocks) or there was an event that caused the mill to skip a line… otherwise, I am satisfied with the output from Vectric V Carve and would now consider it. I am going to have a look at Carveco’s offering too.

I suppose I cannot claim to be a newbie any more. Can I now be an improver? :grin: Many thanks to all who offered their assistance and their thoughts.

Jeff

7 Likes

Very nice. I get somewhat mesmerised by finishing cuts - seeing the final shape emerge fraction of a millimetre at a time.

1 Like

Did the TBN tool ‘sides’ touch any of the deeper leaf edges during the cut? It looked a bit close in a few places, but reckoned it would be OK.

1 Like

No it worked beautifully, Andy. It was finishing raster style and I did not notice the tool touching anything… if it had touched the sides, I suspect that it would have removed them at 22,000rpm. Finish is very smooth to the touch and I could have selected better wood. I just needed a hardwood of the right dimensions. (Homebase’s best was all I could manage on a Sunday afternoon) I will see if I can repair the line and then think aboout different finishes. I am very pleased with it, Andy.

1 Like

Agreed. At 1mm with the stepover, it was slow going. CM could not figure out the time accurately.

I bought two pickup loads of Red Oak and Mahogany a couple of years ago. The wood was listed on craigslist and was from an out of business that made church furniture. Many of the oak pieces was glued up two or three layers thick and the layers were glued together. The glue they used often fails so I have cut up most of it back into planks and glue it together if necessary with Titebond III. I have never had Titebond fail. If a joint fails it fails next to the glue line and not the glue line. I feel your pain when you make a project and the wood has a defect. I made a nice Jeep sign for a friend and when I got it done it had a crack in the top. The piece just went onto the scrap pile. Take a look at the top almost in the center how the wood split at a glue line. Look at the first L in Follow.

3 Likes

I use Titebond III in preference to other wood glues. I like its short open time and reliability. It is easy to slide around the workpieces and is economical in use to boot.

Yes, I see it. Quite subtle but irritatingly… it can be seen. I like tighter grain than oak which seems to delight in producing faults. My favourite wood to work is a really dense maple, the sort we turn into butcher’s blocks and table tops but it is very expensive to buy in the UK.

I still have a chopping block that is 40 year old (family heirloom that keeps our super sharp knives very sharp) and periodically I sand and re-oil it. It has the following dimensions 12 x 18 x 3 inches and weighs around 9 lbs.

I once owned a refectory table and the top was just 6’ x 4’ s x 4" in size. It required 4 people to lift that table top onto its legs. That was one really dense piece of wood!

My family butcher’s block in maple.

Quick update: I have just received an early morning very helpful response from the folk at Carveco. One of the directors had written to me answering my questions about terms and conditions and using Windows in a Parallels environment. Even though they say they do not support it, they seem to be aware that some of their customers do work in that way and the resources for Carveco’s use in Parallels are available. Very heartening to receive a positive and welcoming response from a senior member of the Carveco team. I will look into getting going with that today.

1 Like

@jepho - before you go headlong into a decision, the very helpful people resolved my question about the daisy, and solved my (very similar to your) issue about the cut.

Their solution was simply to produce my own toolpaths for the cut from scratch, rather than edit theirs.

Since doing that, I’ve been able to save the toolpaths to a single file (it will be a good test of the post-processor for the BitSetter) and even saved the edited file.

This has made me wonder if your issue is actually related to the environment you’re running windows in, rather than the software - and that might be relevant for any software.

1 Like

I have no idea, Peter. I tried everything that Vectric support suggested and that included adjusting the files and not adjusting them. I am not rushing headlong into anything but having software that I can test without having to rely on the kindness of people who offered me facilities to create files, including remotely… just seems like an unnecessary stretch to get going.

I was eventually able to carve the file created by the help I received from @AndyC and I was more than satisfied with it. The dance I had to do to get that far is not something I have any desire to do again. Whatever the cause of the issues that I was having, they appeared to be well beyond the knowledge or the abilities of the support staff at Vectric to address. Looking at the entrails… I feel that I want much better support than that for the sums of money being demanded for the product.

1 Like

The feature set of the CarveCo product is impressive. What is also impressive is the ramp up the pricing for the advanced features… $15/month entry, up to $7,995 perpetual licence for CarevCo, the approx equivalent of Vectric Aspire which is $1,995 perpetual.
There are some features in CarveCo that would be interesting to explore, at first glance pushing beyond Vectric’s flagship product, but knowing the price tag at the end of the journey means I won’t do so - Carveco is just too expensive for a hobbyist… Shame.

2 Likes

You are way ahead of me here, Andy. I have only just started looking at the software. I am likely to settle on the Maker Plus so dearer than Vectric V Carve Pro but it depends on the interface and how I get to work with it. A little extra over a few years of perpetual is not a bad thing, necessarily. The Difference between Aspire and Carveco at the top end is considerable. I don’t know if it can be justified by features but I am not at that end of the market and likely, never will be. I have had a cursory dig around the interface and it is much more what I would expect from a modern software and the design language is easy to follow. To that point, I have forgotten that I am actually using a software in Windows 10.

I can confirm that ease of use, especially to anyone who is familiar with graphic design illustration or photo editing packages, is not an issue. I have found it easy to navigate. The thing about Vectric’s concept is that every process seems to require the user to open and close one of their ‘forms’. I don’t for one moment think that I cannot learn to do that, it is just a little easier for me to use software in a manner in which processes behave in a way that I expect. Oh well… onwards! :smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.