Anyone living in Illinois using a Shapeoko XXL?

I am new to this field and have not purchased a machine at this time but would like to visit/talk with anyone who might be willing to explain how the machine works and why it should be added to my shop. I am interested in both large and small projects running from signs, to inlays, part creation and anything else I have not thought of at this time.

Thanks in advance,
Mike Wollesen

3 Likes

Hey Welcome! I am on the north shore and a hobbiest who has had a Shapoko XL for about 3 months. I have had a lot of success with it and happy to share my thoughts and opinions. Meeting in person may be a challenge as I do work full time and am juggling 2 toddlers and a newborn.

2 Likes

Wow, I’m impressed. I can’t even juggle 2 tennis balls. :joy:

3 Likes

Can you tell me why you chose Shapoko over something like an xcarve? I am trying to figure out which would be a better machine for me and what I am thinking about doing with it. I know that is sort of open but I am still not sure what I can do with the machine. If we can handle this via messages or email that will work for me as well. My email is tinman9@comcast.net if that will make it easier.

Thanks,
Mike Wollesen

Continuing the discussion from Anyone living in Illinois using a Shapeoko XXL?:

I live in illinois. 60 miles south of Chicago. I just purchased an xxl. I’m still in the assembly stage. The idea behind my purchase is to use it as a marker shop and have people come operate and use it. I needed to justify the purchase since I will personally not use it that much. If anyone is in the area and would like to check it out, stop on over.

If you haven’t found it, the official Carbide 3D answer on that is here:

https://carbide3d.com/vs/shapeoko-vs-xcarve/

tldr; The machines have similar capabilities (the X-Carve is a forked Shapeoko 2 w/ some cosmetic changes and Wide MakerSlide replacing the double X-axis and a custom extrusion for the carriage), just the Shapeoko 3 is a redesign which is much more rigid and local, not cloud software — both use the same firmware, Grbl.

Everything included in the link is what has me leaning towards the Shapeoko. I just need to work up the courage and make the leap I guess.

Thanks,
Mike Wollesen

1 Like

Thanks for the offer, what city do you live in?

Mike Wollesen

1 Like

@myerswoodshop has done some great videos on the Shapeoko 3.

This series of 3 videos will give you a great indication of what to expect and the pros and cons between the two machines.
Ultimate X-Carve Vs Shapeoko - Part 1

As far as I can tell, both machines are about as easy to operate as each other, but the shapeoko comes pre-assembled (not sure if the Myers video reflects that update) and the biggest difference is the rigidity the Shapeoko offers over the X-carve - aluminium is much more doable on the shapeko than it is on the X-carve - that may not be in your plans right now but some day it may be. I have had an XXL since they were released and feel I would have outgrown an X-carve by now…

Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks for the info, I have watched all of those videos and his tutorials. I am quite impressed with the Shapeoko and am feeling that is the way I am going to go when I pull the trigger.

Thanks again,
Mike Wollesen

I love in a small town of Diamond
South of Joliet right off I55

1 Like

As I get closer to making my decision I will get back with you and see about looking at your setup if that is ok with you.

Thanks,
Mike Wollesen

I can tell you I chose the Shapoko over XCarve primarily for 3 primary reasons:

• Rigidity of the machine - you can see the extrusion comparison and it is night and day difference
  • Software being not cloud based - I don’t want to be at the mercy of Inventibles site being up to use the machine and I don’t like the concept of the premium services having a montly fee.
  • The XL size was just what I was looking for - working out of a garage I don’t have space for a deep machine and the countertop depth worked well for my shop.

Beyond that it came to cost and the Shapoko was a small premium that made it easy for me to decide it was worth it.

I have not had the machine for a long time but I have already experiment with success cutting out parts, engraving, v-carve inlays, and working with pieces larger than the bed. Most of the issues I have had were my fault or easily resolved with searching or posting on this fine community right here.

Happy to answer any other questions or specifics you may have, but for me I am very happy with my decision and have a lot of future projects and ideas slated for my machine!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.