Anyone with basic 3d knowledge in Aspire 9.512 willing to help?

Hey guys. Proud S03XXL owner here, asking for a quick favor!

I was hoping to do a mini project for a friend. He’s asking if I can do a cigar ashtray out of walnut. Basic shape would be a maltese cross, which I’ve been able to put together without an issue.

What I’m looking to do is to add (or technically remove) 4 rounded slots in the 3d model to rest the cigars in. Similar to this image :

Was thinking of putting the bevels in these locations :

Been playing around in the software for a while and haven’t been able to figure out how to remove the portion of the 3d model to make the desired bevel. If it’s not too much of a bother could anyone take a quick look?

Here’s a link to the aspire file
https://drive.google.com/open?id=18R10xcSghB1Kjdi9nPQHJdrqA0voOnxZ

Thanks in advance!

Mike

I am only starting to get into the modelling side of Aspire, but I’ll give it a shot.

First I drew a very rough version of your ashtray, with the bevel locations as rectangles that go outside the extent of the body

Then I went to the modelling tab and created a 20mm body to start from, using the two circles with a ‘flat’ body, at 90°, giving me a flat ring

Then cut the 4 slots in using the same create shape tool with the flat selection, but ensuring I subtract the body 5mm rather than add

now for the bevels. I selected the 4 rectangles, changed the profile to ‘curved profile’, +90° angle, 0 base height, then ‘scale to exact height’ as 5mm - which sets the depth of your bevels, then ensured i had selected ‘subtract from previous components’

Note this leaves little pieces at the base on the outside of the body…
model7
Not to worry aspire has us covered with a vector/cut tool in the modelling tab

Holding Shift, Select the two circles as boundaries of your ‘cut’, and the model area of your bevel cuts - I marked where I clicked to select the body with a red X to avoid confusion

with these selected, click the vector/cut tool, when you hover over it the tag ‘Clear area of selected component outside selected vectors’ this will do the cut - confirm it in the 3d tab. there are a few little bits left but that won’t have an impact when machining, its just the 3d simulation not being 100% correct

Hope this helped, it’s very broad, but play with the settings a bit to get the hang of it and understand what the options do. I’m happy to clarify anything that was brushed over too quickly… There is an insane amount of power behind aspire… I have found recently that I’m spending a lot of time in the documentation Here and learning a lot of features I had no idea about!

1 Like

Stuart,

That was an awesome reply. Can’t tell you how much I appreciate it. Very well explained. Going to work on the design tomorrow.

There is tons of good vectric stuff on youtube as well that has been eating up my free time, as well as watching all the shapeoko vids and other people cutting, as I’m sure we all do.

Thanks again

No worries - there are always a few ways to do it, hopefully that gets you in the right direction.

Make sure you share your ash tray when you’re done!

Thank but I don’t smoke! :wink: