Are MeshCAM tool paths always quite insane?

thanks for the reply!

this is a vector, not an image, but i am VERY interested in fusion 360!!

1 Like

shouldn’t MeshCAM have told me that my current “toolset” was unable to machine this pattern?

i mean, as a coder, how difficult is that?

Kevin, MeshCAM will certainly machine your file. You showed a screenshot above. But with 2D input, it is a matter of cutting the outlines all the way through the material (or to the Max Depth limit)–there is no “pocketing”. See Robert’s blog where he introduced DXF machining: http://www.grzsoftware.com/blog/how-to/dxf-to-g-code/ It is for things like brackets etc. that are outlines, or outlines with holes in them.

If you can take your SVG and extrude it as a solid on top of another “base” solid, MeshCAM could machine it as an STL solid. If you convert your SVG to DXF as I did earlier in the thread, SolidWorks could do that. But SolidWork’s own limitation is that it will only accept one level of DXF outline nesting at a time, and you would likely spend a whole day just parsing and importing the DXF.

This is actually a very complicated logo. I didn’t show SheetCAM’s toolpaths above, but they were not much different in general than MeshCAM’s.

Given the resolution of most home (and frankly commercial) CNC machines, there is no shame as exporting your logo as a bitmap of good high resolution. MeshCAM 6 64-bit will allow bitmap input of up to 90000 pixels per side.You can then machine the logo utilizing MeshCAM’s grayscale-to-height to form the relief.

But, you might be happier searching for a program that works closer to your expectations.

Randy

1 Like