Assembling a Shapeoko 4 other than XXL

I just got a Shapeoko 4 Standard (The Black Friday sale pushed me over the edge) over the weekend. I couldn’t find instructions for this particular machine but did find the instructions for the XXL. But I did run into some discrepancies (and I currently am expecting a return call from support). I think the biggest issues are that the belt and drag chain for the power cord seem to be all for the XXL. While the X drag chain being long is ok except it can extend 16 inches or so off the right side when the X is all the way right, the gantry can not come all the way forward with the Y chain being at full length.

Here are the deviations from the instructions I’ve found

1. Removed 25 links from the X power cord drag chain
  2. Removed 21 links from the Y power cord drag chain
  3. Used M5 screws (from extra hardware) to mount control box instead of the M6 screws provided
  4. Substituted 12mm for 6mm screw to mount the backplate (6 mm was too short to include grounding screw)

I want to trim the belts to length but am hesitant till I hear from support. All the mods I’ve made so far are reversible but cutting the belt is not.

I also go extra instructions with the drag chain assembly. One was for a shim which I got and install the other was for a 6mm spacer which I didn’t get. I don’t know if that spacer was machine specific and the instructions were on the back side of the instructions for the shim or I should have this part.

Finally, in the category of parts left over… when cleanup the packaging, I noticed a bag and part labeled Y-Axis Limit Trigger thought I missed it in the instructions, but for the life of me can’t find it.

So I guess the questions are

1. Do my mods listed seem appropriate
  2. (I will probably wait for support but) should I trim the belts
  3. Am I supposed to get a 6mm spacer with the Shapeoko 4 standard
  4. What do I do with the Y-Axis Limit Trigger?

Thanks

1 Like

I found out the answer to my 4th question the hard way. I went through the machine configuration and when I homed the machine. I found the y-axis did not want to stop. Examining the left side of the gantry assembly I found an unused screw hole and sure enough it fit and my homing worked. I wish I knew which box the trigger came in to update which step the trigger should be installed, but it is very accessible so probably not an issue when it is installed.

1 Like

Please forward this all on to support@carbide3d.com

1. Yes.
  2. Yes
  3. The shim should now be pre-installed
  4. Install it as you have — we’re working to get that updated.

I did get confirmation from phone support to trim the belts so that 2-3 inches remain like it shows on the photo for the front end of the belt.

Thought I’d put it out there for anyone else assembling the Standard (or XL I guess)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.