"Automatic" Tool Length Offset

@tjcolejr What kind of switch? That looks a BitFamiliar.

5 Likes

I considered doing this too with an inductive prox switch in it, what kind of switch did you use and have you tested the repeatability on the setup?

Love it!

1 Like

First, let me say I am very thankful to @neilferreri for the macros. They work great for me.

I’m using a basic limit switch wired normally open with the roller and metal spring ripped off. This is the same switch setup that is on my Prusa 3D printer.

The button is simply to make the strike area greater. It is 15mm in diameter. I appear to get repeatable triggers around +/-.025mm. Call it +/- .001".

I had already designed the box and button and was going to attach it to the machine bed. Then I saw the bitsetter and liked the idea of mounting it to the rail.

5 Likes

Thank you very much Neil! You talked me into switching to CNCjs and I used both your macros for bit probing for Z height. I just removed the M0 functions since I am using a fixed button for probing. I ran a test and I would say the correction is within a couple hundredths of a millimeter. I think the discrepancy is due to some previous damage to the bottom (UGS glitch). I am going to glue an aluminum disc to the switch to give it a more consistent surface. Thanks again!

Now I have to figure out how to make the stream deck work with CNCjs.

Hey @BenSappington, welcome! Since you have the fixed button and don’t need to attach alligator clips, your workflow is the same as the BitSetter. You can use these macros.

2 Likes

Question @neilferreri

So this TLO macro…it’s not 100% only for use with CNCjs correct? I’m trying to get a bit more knowledge on these macros and gcode in general and understand what values in your macros need to be changed for MY machine and application so i can set a specific location for probing during an M6 tool change.

Although the concept is universal, the macros ARE specific to CNCjs. They utilize features that are currently only available in CNCjs (I need to check bCNC, but not many around here seem to use it) or within the black boxes of closed source senders.
Any reason you can’t use CNCjs?

Feel free to ask.

2 Likes

I was curious about this for use with my Open Builds black box controller to use with their motion control software.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.