Avrdude Error while using Carbide Firmware Updater on ShapeOko-3

I am trying to update my ShapeOko-3 firmware to GRBL v1.1, but I keep getting an Avrdude Error. The error screen says that I need to not let go of the z-limit switch, but I am not letting it go. I then tried using a jumper instead of the limit switch to see if that would work, but it did not.

Also, I ran the updater without holding down the z-limit switch, and the program behaved the same way. I’m wondering if there’s something wrong with the board that causes it not to recognize whether or not there is a limit switch connected at all.

By the way, I haven’t used this machine for a few years. Pulled it out recently to use with a new computer. This is why I am upgrading it to GRBL v1.1.

Please write in to support@carbide3d.com for help w/ re-flashing — it might be that you need to hold down a “PROG” button on the controller.

In the meanwhile, you can use Carbide Motion 3:

until you get updated to 1.1

1 Like

Thanks, WillAdams. I will try the Carbide Motion 3 and email support.

Do you know where I can get the older version of Carbide Create? Carbide Motion 3 is able to connect to the machine, but this version does not open .c2d files, and the latest Carbide Create does not save the gcode separately anymore.

I contacted support about the update issue. They recommended holding down the reset button instead of the z-limit switch. This had the same results.

Then they recommended I use this alternative method, but this took longer than expected and failed to upload in the end.

My pcb is the CarbideMotion v2.2 if that helps.

You can get v6 of Carbide Create at:

Hopefully the folks at support will be able to guide you through updating.

1 Like

On the newer CM application you can power on your Shapeoko and do not initialize. The screen will show if any switches are activated. So you can push your homing switch and see if it shows on the CM screen. My understanding is some of the newer CM versions do not work without the 1.1f update but you may still be able to connect but not operate the Shapeoko without using an older version of CM. I have most of the versions of CM back a long way so if you need an older version just post and I will reply and put it on google drive for your download.

Also I have my original updater on my drive I can also upload to google drive upon request.

1 Like

Using CarbideCreate v6 with Carbide Motion v3 works.

I tried doing the update using a different computer, but this had the same result as the other, so I don’t think it’s a computer issue.

Thanks, everyone, for the help!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.