Bass guitar build

I agree with you 100%

Hi, no problem with backup. Thereā€™s a fair bit of hand crafting/finishing in a guitar. The last two I made I bought timber just over Half the width of the guitar body and just over the thickness of the completed body. I the cut the timber up to just over the body length. I then cut the timber down the middle thickness wise. This gives you bookend grain. Then glue the two pieces together that gives you half a guitar body. So you need to do that twice. You can then CNC machine up the back piece for the wire runs between the pickups, volume tuner control and jack point etc. The glue to two halves together. The CNC the for the pickups, neck and everything else. I realise thatā€™s quite a bit to take in in one go. Itā€™s just a suggestion. I think you said you had a piece of timber lined up, zebra. The above would work with that. The photo of the hollow body gives an idea about wire runs between components, not a construction idea.

1 Like

5 Likes

I love that green! How in the world did you acheive this paint job? super cool!

Its pretty simple. Yellow and green Angelus leather dye. Did the yellow in the middle first and then applied green to the edges and ā€œfeatheredā€ it in. It is what the call a ā€œfadeā€.

1 Like

And this is just my preferenceā€¦but i would actually consider using the CNC for your neck as well. I seen someone had mentioned planning to not use it. I found it made joining the neck to the guitar much easier since you can cut the exact shape on both. You just have to figure out a good solid clever way of holding the neck in the correct plane. I also used the machine to cut the channel for my truss rod.

1 Like

If you ever want to color wood but still see the wood grain, leather dye is the way to go.

5 Likes

Blockquote If you ever want to color wood but still see the wood grain, leather dye is the way to go.

Thank you. I did not know that.

I applaud your enthusiasm but having built several guitars by hand and not using a cnc I can say it was the most difficult but most gratifying thing I have done to date. I would caution a jump in and figure it out approach. The physics of a guitar need to be taken into account including angles on the neck and where it joins. Have you considered a bass kit like on stewmac. That way everything is already pre determined but you have the opportunity for customization. I did a stratocaster and was able to cnc the body with some foam and clamps. Either way good luck. Just for estimation the acoustic guitar took 16 weeks in a class. The electrics I have done workout to be a month or two.

1 Like

Thank you for all the help. So after reading all of these and looking at the resources I decided to just focus on the body and have the neck ordered premade. I ordered the Mighty Mite P bass neck with rosewood finger board from Stewmac and have just been going to guitar center and making detailed notes and measurements on everything. Will keep you all updated. I havenā€™t abandoned purple heart completely yet, but I may just glue up a body blank in ash or even maple just for the first trial run.

2 Likes

If you are going to do a trial run you might consider basswood. Itā€™s used for a lot of guitar bodies and is cheaper then ash or maple. Itā€™s also very easy to work with.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.