Battery Backup For Nomad 3?

I get a lot of summer storms here in South Florida, with power flashes. Can someone with knowledge of such things advise on what size battery back up would be needed for the Nomad 3?

Thank you!

I would recommend getting something that uses a true sine wave output vs the less expensive stepped sine wave. I use an APC Smart-UPS on my SO3, and here is a video from a few years ago where I had it running and just pulled the plug on the UPS, and the SO3 didn’t even notice. I was in the middle of changing out the router, so it is just sitting on the deck, but it is a good demonstration none-the-less.

3 Likes

I’ve seen people note that they use a UPS, but if the have a black-out, they’ll pause the job. Not running a spindle greatly reduces power consumption and lets the UPS last much longer. Then restart when power is back up.

2 Likes

I would think a UPS should be used to allow a safe shut down/pause, to prevent an instant stop.

Continuing with a project would probably drain the backup batteries quite quickly - unless you’re prepared to pay a lot of money!

Also, there could be safety issues if, for example, you’re plunged into darkness and there’s a scary machine out there, waiting to bite you :scream: :scream:

2 Likes

Some of the APC UPS units have a ‘power fail signal’ which might be suitable as a pause button feed into the ShapeOKO’s board - if the power fails, the job will automatically pause, then wait (even after power is resumed) for you to click in CM to resume

1 Like

What size backup is needed to handle the Nomad 3?

Runtime and VA (Power) rating will govern the size of UPS. Keeping the spindle going to complete a job will be the major draw. A typical ‘home use UPS’ for a PC assumes 20-30 mins for a 200w PC draw. Divide this by say 5 to keep the PC and Spindle and Steppers going, and you can probably multiple the price by 5-10. Without looking up models, I would think north of $1000 is likely

1 Like

I am lucky to live in a tech heavy area (greater Seattle area) and I have purchased 3 of the APC Smart-UPS 1500 units from Craigslist / Offerup for $75-150 each because the batteries are dead. Some people or small businesses just don’t want to deal with that, so they buy a new one and sell the old one for cheap just to “make it go away” without having to deal with recycling the batteries. Another $100ish in batteries and they are good to go. I buy regular 12V 15-17AH batteries instead of the “cartridge” and save ~$50 by just moving the wire harness and fusible link to the new set of batteries.

3 Likes

As was suggested, what I need is enough power to allow me to turn off the spindle until power goes back on. 9 out of 10 times it is just a momentary power outage, just don’t want to lose the carves… Do you think a 1500 would keep the Nomad 3 running for a few minutes?

I would think so, yes

1 Like

Be sure to get a quality one. Motor coils knock voltage and current out of phase. This can cause cheap UPSs to freak out.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.