Belt Tension Clips and 3D Printed Parts (Or Machined Aluminum)

So the more I use my machine the more I want to tune/calibrate it dialing in accuracy so like many before I’m looking to replace those metal clips holding the belt to the end plates and make my own. I think I have a design that will work without any need to mod the machine or cut/drill into it but now I’m wondering which route to fabricate them.

Option 1: try my luck with aluminum and machine the parts on the Shapeoko Pro and finish some drilling on a drill press. This option would be strong with threads tapped in the aluminum part.

Option 2: I’m about to line up a purchase for a 3D printer and would possibly use this project to get familiar with it but I was wondering how strong these parts would turn out or would they wear with time and demonstrate some elasticity beyond belt stretch.

Here’s what I’m looking to fabricate

The clips that will secure the belt in place are wedge shaped so the more tension the tighter is will clamp onto the GT2 belt. Also the Belt tension screw will push against a tab into the circular cavity inside the assembly tightening the belt tension.

So I guess I’m asking for those who 3D print already if I 100% fill the part while printing will it produce a part strong enough for this application or over time it will slowly weaken and introduce some slop in the belts? (Edit: Or do I go the machined aluminum route)

Those look to me like they would not be able to handle the rotational forces that would be generated as you tighten them.

I can understand the desire not to modify the frame, but honestly it is the best solution. These tensioners from @neilferreri have worked out fantastically for me:

5 Likes

My simplistic bass guitar tuner tensioners have stood the test of time if you want a simple solution to this that doesn’t modify the machine or require much machining and no 3D printing:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.