Best type of Computer

What is the best kind of computer to run the software that comes with the Sapheoko CNC? Ours is shipping and will be here next week. We need to buy a computer to run it. We just want to know if there is one better then the other Mac vs PC. Do we need a heavy duty graphics card?

1 Like

you don’t need super heavy duty graphics, but at the same time, the super low end is a bit painful. If you end up with somewhat complicated designs, having a bit of vrooom in the CPU for toolpath calculation is nice.

What I got was a NUC (*) with a Core i5 level CPU/GPU and that has been more than plenty, while not being extremely $$. You can also go laptop and there I’d say make sure you have more than 4Gb of memory but otherwise it’ll all work fine.

(*) Disclaimer: I work at Intel and even for personal compute stuff I often end up at Intel-ish products as a result of that bias

1 Like

I have been running my SO3 with a Windows 7, Intel i3 laptop with I think 6gb RAM I bought like, 10 years ago. I just updated it to Win10 for free using the original Win7 product key. It still runs the SO3 just fine.

1 Like

For connecting to the machine in the shop, I think a fanless (sealed) tablet makes a lot of sense — just be sure to get one which has power when USB is connected to the machine.

Our system requirements are up at: https://docs.carbide3d.com/software-faq/carbide-motion-min-requirements/

For a tablet, I find one with an active stylus makes navigating dialog boxes easier, and is nice for drawing and so forth (unfortunately, Carbide Create doesn’t accept pinch/zoom gestures on screen).

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.