Beware of shipping to Canada

It’s unfortunate that in the modern era of the internet and algorithms, we can’t discover what the duty will cost before hitting the purchase button. Amazon manages to do it, so I don’t know why all e-tailers can’t provide the same service. Why does it have to be secretive and manipulative, done by a carrier? The brokerage fees should be upfront as well, so the purchaser can decide which carrier to use at checkout.

You certainly have that right! And if I ever forget, she is there to remind me. :grinning:

1 Like

Thanks much, Paul. No offence intended, but I am aware of all that. I worked at the CBSA/CRA for 33+ years in a former life.

However, there is one flaw in your advice. It is too late to contact Fedex if you leave it to when you have a tracking number. In this case, at least, Carbide gave Fedex specific instructions to clear it. Speaking to the Fedex brokers office yesterday, they informed me that, once they have that instruction, they will not change it. Their system simply takes over.

The solution is to ensure the shipper does not instruct the courier. That is not easily done. Shippers are set up to process shipments in a template manner. Unless they change their website/ordering process, they would have to call or contact every customer to ask for their clearing instructions. That is simply not going to happen.

The same holds true for the courier/broker. They are supposed to be acting on behalf of the importer - not the exporter. In fact, by law, that is what they are doing. However, in practice, they will do what is easiest and most cost effective and that does not include contacting the importer and holding the shipment until the importer responds with instructions. I can’t fault the courier for that. They would have to hold all shipments until the importer responded. Can you imagine the mess that would create. Also, you can bet that those same importers would scream blue murder when their shipment was not delivered on time - even if if was their fault.

All that said, I appreciate all the advice offered here. The simple solution is simply to ensure that we do not order from US shippers who insist on using couriers to deliver to Canada.

1 Like

Worked for me. . . . Maybe check your 33 years experience.

Have a great day!

1 Like

Oddly I also chatted with Carbide about this yesterday. I was simply asking if they could use USPS, I’d like the choice. I will continue to order from Carbide, although probably ordering 2 bits at $50 each is a no go as that would be a $25 charge plus taxes.

Would be cool if we had the choice at checkout to pick fedex or usps.

In Carbide 3D’s defense, FedEx is at least reliable. Also, you can reduce your import fees by setting up an account with them. Canada Post has become so unreliable, I now avoid it like the plague.

1 Like

Usual preface, I’m with PreciseBits so while I try to only post general information take everything I say with the understanding that I have a bias.

Thought I would post some info here as we deal with FedEx a lot for shipment to Canada.

We won’t ship at all with FedEx Ground as they don’t include brokerage (one $70 surprise to our customer was enough for us). Express does though so they end up being cheaper for almost all shipments once you include that. This is also true for UPS last I checked Ground (standard) has brokerage express services don’t.

The extra fees that could be charged can be found here (Link). The ones almost everyone gets hit with for express services are the ROD and Disbursement Fee totaling an extra $21 for packages under $400. Both of those go away if you have a FedEx account (free) added to the shipment for billing any duties and taxes to. I should add that that is according to our rep and our last tests. It doesn’t specifically say in the fees that the Disbursement Fee is waved for those with accounts.

Most of the rest of the fees are either optional or for correcting improper paperwork (except the one added last year for over 5 line items). None of that changes that taxes will still have to be collected but at least it gives a decent option.

Not sure if it would be possible with their system but if Carbide 3D could have an option to get an account to add before shipping for duties and taxes and only use Express there would be less surprises.

2 Likes

The real problem is the duty the Canadian customers have to pay. Why are they having to pay import fees from the US. I thought the US and Canada has trade agreements. The real problem is with the Canadian government charging import fees and useless and needless fees. The US has its fair share of taxes and fees but it seems like this is an unfair burden on Canada’s citizens that simply want things they need. If you buy things directly from China and it is imported into the US there are no fees. So the real question is why are these fees being charged to the folks in Canada.

I realize that these hidden fees are a reality but WHY? Maybe you should talk to your members of parliament about this issue. Seems an unfair burden for someone that wants a few bits.

1 Like

There’s a few issues here. First we do have it in the US if properly declared, not duty free, and over 800USD. The first part of that is that a bunch of seller just don’t properly declare the package.

If it is properly declared then it’s checked against “De Minimis Value”. For the US that’s $800, for Canada it’s 15USD (Source from Source).

Duties for the US is here if interested (Link). If you want a thing to search on use 820770. The US and most other Countries have different duties for where it’s originating.

Which brings us to the next part. The country of origin not the shipping country determines if it’s duty free. As an example we bring in carbide rods from Japan and grind them which changes the originating country under a change in schedule chapter. If you get a finished tool from Japan and then ship it to another country it’s origin is still Japan.

So you could get around duties if it’s a USMCA originating good, declared properly (best chance include the schedule number), and it should have a USMCA declarative statement on the CI or include a USMCA origin form.

So if shipping USMCA goods to Canada and all that is done you shouldn’t get charged duties. You will still have GST at a minimum if it’s valued over 15USD.

1 Like

No, Guy, with respect, that is not the problem. There are no duties on goods of US origin. There is a combined federal/provincial tax, however. This is the same tax at the same rate that I would pay if I bought these bits in Canada. The Canadian government does not charge import fees. The tax is not hidden. In fact, it is the law that it cannot be hidden. It is a separate item on all sales invoices in Canada and on all importations.

The hidden fees and import fees that you complain about are imposed by the carrier/courier. These are the same fees that I am complaining about.

I just typed a very similar long winded version of this. What a scam C3D is running here. I too specifically ordered $85 to receive free shipping. Then was charged $50 dollars in shipping a month later. My next purchase was going to be PRO and more bits as I got up and running and could afford to support a CNC specific company instead of Amazon.

Well, they blew that. Don’t advertise free shipping to Canada, then charge THE MOST EXPENSIVE SHIPPING I HAVE EVER PAID to ship to Canada. I personally, will be posting my story on all future CNC websites I join. Terrible business practice. Imagine doing this to one of YOUR customers. Your company would be dead before the stain dried on your next project.

Canadian customer here as well and the same thing happened to me with a handful of endmills i bought after purchasing my pro. To their credit however, after I explained the situation they reimbursed me. I’ve suggested on multiple occasions C3d considers offering USPS shipping in the future because it would be a huge savings to their international customers. One thing to note however, C3d does offer free shipping over $50, that part is not a scam. The problem is the courier, in this case fed ex, charges a brokerage fee that is a charge completely separate from the actual shipping fee and doesn’t have anything to do with C3D.

Here we go again, beating another dead horse.

1 Like

You are shouting at the wrong people here. C3D didn’t charge you a dime, it was the CARRIER and the Canadian gov’t that charged you.

You don’t shout at the store manager when you have to pay tax at the cash register. Take it up with the people that ACTUALLY charged you.

1 Like

Like Steve said, opinions have been expressed freely and by now we are now beating a dead horse again, and nothing anyone can say will likely change anyone’s initial opinion, I’m closing the thread.

6 Likes