Binding up in back right

Ok first thing is my jobs are all starting in the back right corner and when it moves to that corner it hits the back plate and tries to keep going. What is wrong??

Does the machine initialize correctly ?

If not, there is likely a problem with the limit switches.

If it does initialize correctly, and it goes to crash into the back right corner when you run the job, it is likely that you have not set your zeroes correctly (or the zero reference is not set correctly in the project that generated the toolpath you are running)

Maybe upload your file here for a quick check

Please post the .c2d file, step-by-step notes on how you are securing your stock and setting zero relative to it and managing all tool changes, and a photo showing an attempt at cutting still in place on the machine.

Ok setting zero was the problem. I reset to front left for X and Y and then I set Z as it just touches the material. Is the z part correct?

for X and Y, if you mean reset to front left of the stock, that should be ok.
For Z, indeed if you are zeroing manually, the “paper method” is setting Z zero as the tool just touches the material (well the piece of paper between the tool and material)

Check out my.carbide3d.com for lots of tutorials on basics:

https://my.carbide3d.com/gswso/06/

2 Likes

When you initialize that sets how far a machine can be jogged in the CM interface. When you send the configuration in CM it tells CM what is the limitations of the model of machine being controlled. So jogging will stop when the limits have been reached from the configuration.

That works for jogging but when running gcode there is no limitation and if you tell your Shapeoko to try and go a mile to the left or right it will try and of course hit the mechanical stops and start grinding. So it sounds like your X and Y zero was not set and you figured that out. So the Z works that way as well. You set zero on top of the material in CC and set Z zero on top of the material on the spoilboard things should work. However if you set the z zero on top of the material but you told CC to set Z zero at the bottom of material now you can get problems. Likely an air job but if you set CC for the bottom of material and set Z zero on top of the material the bit will plunge down through your material and make a mess and possibly damage your router and/or machine.

So make sure your Z Zero location matches where you physically set the Z Zero with the paper method or the BitZero.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.