Bit plunged into workpiece

So I was doing a small american flag, everything was going well until my bit plunged into the wood coming out the other side. I always make sure I tighten the collect before starting, any ideas as to why this occurred? Also, when I shut it down I found two small screws on the workpiece. I looked everywhere and have no idea where they came from, Lastly, as I was manually pushing down the Z axis a plastic piece with a spring fell from behind the Z axis. I believe it may have been a shipping piece because I removed a similar piece during assembly. Anyway, I carved a union of stars with no problem. Any idea- A few pics attached. Thank you.

The two black screws look like the screws for the oiling ports of the linear bearings. Each bearing has two screws, one at each end.

The other parts are from the anti-backlash nut. Here’s a good thread on how to assemble it.
https://community.carbide3d.com/t/z-plus-leadscrew-nut-replacement-how-to-guide/53601/4

You can run without the anti-backlash parts, but you may find there is ‘slop’ in the vertical movement of the Z carriage. The whole design of the anti-backlash nut of the Z plus is troublesome, it’s not clear that the design actually helps reduce backlash at all.

Finally, the fact that the AB nut fell off, AND you were getting a deep plunge, most likely means you are losing steps when the Z carriage moves upwards. Check lubrication, see if there’s any debris on the rails, and check the motor wiring looking for damage or corrosion, or signs of overheats (which can come from electrical arcing).

1 Like

There is lubricant at the bottom of the rails on the Z access. I’m sorry I’m very new to this we’re exactly do those screws go?

OK I found where those screws belong. Thank you. How do I lubricate the Z axis?

See if this helps.

1 Like

Thank you. Very helpful!!

Thanks Mike for the help and video. I followed it, hopefully I installed the backlash not correctly. I’m very thankful for this forum, I am disappointed with their support. You are never able to speak with anyone, and in this particular case, I have not received a call or an email back. I also inquired on one on one video training sessions that were included when I purchased it And no one ever got back to me on that either. If not, for this forum, my machine would probably still be in the box. Lol thanks again.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.