Bits listing setup for carbide create

Anyone have a list more exhaustive for the bits setup for carbide create : plunge,feedrate etc…

We’ve been having something of a discussion on this in various places here for a while now.

Most notable one is:

There are some notes on the community-maintained wiki as well: https://wiki.shapeoko.com/index.php/Materials

If you’ll let us know specifically what you’re wanting to cut and to what effect we may be better able to advise you.

My question was if anyone have made a listing for new bits in carbide create. Example: for 1/16 V, Ball, End,! We should be able to import bits and export :grinning:bits%20data|332x500

Newer versions of Carbide Create allow one to access the .ini files in which custom tooling is installed. Perhaps folks can use those for this sort of interchange?

Unfortunately, there isn’t any sort of import/export functionality (it would be really nice if .tps files from MeshCAM would also work).

well its good that the user added tools are in an *ini file. It would be pretty straightforward to add your own if you knew the tool’s attributes. A little program to import a tps file would also be feasible to make if the tps file was easily read - has anyone got a sample of a tps file?

looking at the ini file however shows that the user tool section is rather unfriendly even if you replace the \n with carriage returns. And since the uuids are obviously generated by CC that would be a stumbling block ;-( (Why have a uuid at all I wonder?)

• mine shows

tools="@ByteArray([\n {\n “angle”: 0,\n “corner_radius”: 0,\n “diameter”: 6.35,\n “display_mm”: false,\n “flutes”: 2,\n “length”: 19.049999999999997,\n “name”: “Whiteside 1013”,\n “number”: 17,\n “overall_length”: 0,\n “uuid”: “{1860f339-c6d0-4cfa-8cd1-447bb1f84d9a}”\n },\n {\n “angle”: 0,\n “corner_radius”: 0,\n “diameter”: 3.175,\n “display_mm”: false,\n “flutes”: 2,\n “length”: 21.996399999999998,\n “name”: “Straight 2 flute”,\n “number”: 18,\n “overall_length”: 0,\n “uuid”: “{438f1028-ed37-4552-be9b-e6cf02a9c073}”\n },\n {\n “angle”: 0,\n “corner_radius”: 0,\n “diameter”: 3.175,\n “display_mm”: false,\n “flutes”: 2,\n “length”: 11.9888,\n “name”: “Spiral 2 flute”,\n “number”: 19,\n “overall_length”: 0,\n “uuid”: “{d5b9457f-ec48-4973-8671-6e506ffe423c}”\n },\n {\n “angle”: 0,\n “corner_radius”: 0,\n “diameter”: 25.4,\n “display_mm”: false,\n “flutes”: 3,\n “length”: 6.35,\n “name”: “surfacer”,\n “number”: 20,\n “overall_length”: 0,\n “uuid”: “{42127c08-f010-463b-99ee-93dd38ad40fa}”\n }\n]\n)"

I imagine the UUIDs are there as they’re guaranteed to be unique (to state the obvious). They should be no problem, however, as you just generate new UUIDs when you import a file.

The tools section you posted actually looks very friendly to me, as it’s just a string of JSON data (just like I’ve encountered in Carbide Create files). In python code, you just import json, import uuid, and go to town.

Listing of them here:

How do you open .tps file

.tps files are toolpath settings for MeshCAM — I don’t know of anything else which can open them.

The only other sorts of endmill settings files seem to be XML which is used by Autodesk Fusion 360 and a possibly different sort used by CAMotics.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.