Bolt on spindle isn’t moving

Just had to check to see if anyone has ever run into this problem. We have a Shapeoko HDM. When changing bits, it got to where my husband had remove the bolt to put a new bit in. He knows what he is doing and is careful to make sure the thread is correct. Earlier he could not get the bolt off. He is strong and very mechanical. He tried many different tools and it isn’t budging. Well , he made slight progress. Customer service isn’t open today and he is now looking up new routers or spindles to see what we will have to buy! We have only had our machine 2 weeks so this is beyond frustrating.

We have just been getting the hang of things. :sob:

I don’t see a ticket under your name, or for an HDM.

Send us photos showing the collet/nut and an overall view of the spindle and we will do our best to assist.

2 Likes

Thank you. We haven’t sent anything thinking customer service wasn’t open until Monday. Should we email the information to support?

Yes, please do.

We understand that many folks can only use their machines evenings, weekends, and holidays, so do our best to staff the support queue during those times.

That is great. I sent an email earlier. Thank you!

I recently had (for the first time in years) a stuck collet nut on my 2.2kW spindle (similar to the HDM’s) and I was able to salvage it. It turns out that in my case brute force was the answer, see this thread for the horrible bespoke tool I used:

I thought I would permanently damage the collet thread, but it turns out that after a few more operations of the collet nut on the thread, it is almost as smooth as it ever was.

Just mentioning this in case it helps if you are going to get a new spindle anyway

3 Likes

Thank you so much for the advice. My husband had to go out of town for the night but is ready to get back and try anything.

FWIW, I would start with some Kroil (a penetrating oil) or PB Blaster before trying lye… But if it works, it works :slight_smile:

1 Like

Excellent news! We are covered under warranty!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.