Broken Shaft on Y Stepper Motor - Where can I buy backups

I’m curious about anyone who has experienced motor shaft failure, and used LiamN’s Hz chart-
If you used the chart what HZ frequency did you strive for and what is your belt width?

all 3 of mine were set to about 90hz as of the last shaft failure. Now they are just barely tight. I used the 500mm spacing for my 4 XXL to record it. Machine seems happier now after loosening them up.

1 Like

The original post on belt tensions unfortunately only had settings for 9mm belts as there weren’t any (official) 15mm belt machines at the time. The 15mm belts produce a lower frequency for the same static tension. Sorry if this has misled anyone with the newer machines.

Since that post I’ve seen no evidence that increasing belt tensions beyond the minimum required to match stepper forces improves performance, whilst we know that there are downsides, so here’s an updated table which includes the 15mm belts.

Select either 9mm or 15mm belt
Then whether you are measuring over 250mm or 500mm
Then pick a target tension, read across to the target frequency

e.g XXL machine measuring over 500mm with 15mm belts
Choose 89N → target frequency = 58Hz

I use about 95N static tension on my SO3 XXL and it is fine, calibrates well etc.

I have put the 150N in a warning red as this is likely more than enough to upset the stepper motors on the 15mm belt machines with their wider pulley providing greater leverage on the shaft.

5 Likes

My left Y stepper motor shaft broke the other day. 8hrs in to an 8.5hr run😡.
Looks just the the others posted here. I’m pretty sure they’re Nema 23 motors. Are there better ones out there that don’t have pot steel shafts? Are they plug and play or do I need to change parameters in the controller?
With the warranties ending on the SO4’s, we’re going to need to start sourcing upgraded parts on our own, seeing how i don’t see any on the C3d website.

Write in to support@carbide3d.com and let us know the specifics and we will do our best to get this sorted out.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.