Brushless Makita Mod (unsupported)

My VESC is a 30amp one that ran a hub sensorless motor on an ESkate. It would be interesting to actually be able to program the motor characteristics. See how much juice the Makita can really handle lol. I’ve tripped it a couple times due to load but that was with 0.375 roughing in aluminum.

I assume it wouldn’t be very tough to input a pwm signal right? Mine looks very similar to the one you linked.

1 Like

That’s the idea. Need to creep up on it though.

1 Like

Looks like the VESC might need a pwm to ppm converter to have the proper input.

And I just pulled mine out of the garage, an og Enertion Benjamin Vedder 4.10. Gonna power it up and see if it’s still good to go.

1 Like

VESC apparently has the PPM input mislabeled. It is actually PWM:

1 Like

I know you mentioned that the motor was sensorless. I am going to assume you do not have a sensor cable for the board so you will need to get one. It should be a 6 pin JST-PH connector. I found these on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F8JSTV9

They should work.

I recommend plugging your VESC into your computer, loading up VESC Tool, backing up the existing config, and then flashing the latest firmware. Reading the change log there were some scary bugs in earlier firmwares that I would not want on a spindle.

3 Likes

So.

First VESC powered Makita Brushless is a success! Thanks for that rabbit hole lol. I just sent it and updated to the latest firmware.

And @gmack…I’m gonna need your help with some data. The VESC Tool plots everything… and I think I just ran the motor from 500 rpm to 40,000

I’m currently running sensorless and yes, I know the vise is rusty. Also I have headlight and brake lights that connect to the vesc and work automatically. This might be really fun!

Now to figure out the PWM

4 Likes

Two things:

1. I really hope you are not running 40k actual RPM, but 40k ERPM. The 4.xx boards can fry over 60k ERPM. ERPM is the RPM * pole count. This is a 2 pole motor.

2. Damn you… I am wiring up the hall sensor right now and was going to test it.

3 Likes

Well I just did rpm sweep and Duty sweeps, pulled a max 5 anps unloaded and ran some tests. Will confirm with laser tach

:joy::joy::joy::joy:

No smoke yet but I should probably put on safety glasses

2 Likes

probably fine with no load, but still make sure to set your ERPM limit to 60k. I would definitely have glasses and a fire extinguisher ready though.

1 Like

Incidentally I have a thread started on the VESC forums for this:

https://vesc-project.com/node/1764

2 Likes

This is so much better than any other controller. Thank you for pushing this option!

Hit a confirmed 40kish rpm which totally changes everything. Runs smooth from 2,000 and up.

Its showing the motor can pull a 51 amp max. With the hall hooked up and properly able to cool it, does this mean we can feed it with that much? Also how is the 24volt power supply best setup in the software?

1 Like

Good question. That is one of the reasons I started the VESC forum thread. Recommend watching that.

1 Like

What voltage are you using with what power supply?

1 Like

I’m confused, is KV 800 or 1600?

1 Like

Full on 27.2 volts on a 500watt 15 amp PS. Got it to pull a 5.61 amp load at rpm that started to get scary (good thing I pulled the fan lol)

1 Like

When I did the reading I assumed one pulse from the hall per revolution. This is a 2 pole motor though. So the actual RPM was half so the KV should be doubled.

1 Like

Just tried running it. I think I have the hall sensor setup wrong. It moved 1/3 a revolution then stayed there while the current rose to 5.38. Now that was scary.

1 Like

Got it, thanks! So @Vince.Fab’s 27.2V power supply should give 27.2 * 1600 = ~44kRPM. He’s getting 40kRPM @ 27.2 * 5.61 = ~153 Watts input with no load or fan. @Vince.Fab where did the 5.61A value come from?

1 Like

I ran a duty sweep to 1 so it hit 100% duty cycle and ended up much much faster than 40,000. However I am out of laser tach stickers so a bit of foil works decent.

Laser tach is matching Erpm during testing.

1 Like

Can you reduce voltage to 18V and repeat the test? I assume you’re getting the 5.6A value from the ESC?
FYI “Print Screen” will copy your computer screen to the clipboard to “Paste” (Ctrl V) wherever you want it,

1 Like