Brushless Makita Mod (unsupported)

I should also mention that my Makita is currently running in sensorless mode. I am just using the Hall sensor for RPM feed back for tuning.

1 Like

Not rude at all, thanks for saving me the trouble of a fried ESC.

Overall I think you will be happier with the ODrive and I am more than happy to help you configure either one.

2 Likes

@Vince.Fab do you still have the original motor for your Nomad? If so mind pulling it apart and checking how many magnets it has on the shaft? That way I can help @Moded1952 to make a Modmad 883 Pro. LOL

I can inspect it no problem, but it will have to wait for a few days until I’m back in town.

IMO he’d be much better served going with a Modkita so he could run at 30,000 PPM instead of being limited to 10,000 RPM!

For quiet (when not cutting), he might want to consider a high speed water cooled HF spindle like this one.

It looks like the Nomad motor’s maximum speed is likely ~3k RPM - so a 60k ERPM limit probably isn’t a problem.

Not bad ideas but I’d like to put that off until I’m confident I can actually machine the block to hold a larger spindle/router.

A serious disadvantage for that motor? @Vince.Fab apparently isn’t using FOC with his VESC.

FOC has a higher top speed and more importantly efficiency.

But, doesn’t it require a motor with sinusoidal back EMF (a PMSM motor), rather than one with trapezoidal back EMF (like your BLDC motor)? Maybe @Vince.Fab has tried FOC and would share his experiences?

I was running into a problem with Closed Loop control using the hall effect sesnors on the ODrive because of the trapezoidal waveform. Sensorless control however runs without issues.

@CthulhuLabs 8 magnets on the stock Nomad 883 spindle motor. Also i’m willing to hook it up to the vesc and if i understand correctly, that with the spindle ratio, the max spindle rpm would be 13,500ish.

And this just got a lot more interesting…

8 magnets means 4 pole pairs. So the motor can spin on the VESC at 15k RPM. What is the gear ratio between the spindle and the motor on the stock Nomad?

it was a 50/50 chance of getting that right ha. Its a 2.5 ratio (i think, lemme check)

Keep in mind that 15k RPM is the limit of what the VESC could push the motor to. That does not mean that the motor will go that fast. I doubt the kV rating of the motor is very high. Assuming a 2.5 to 1 gear ratio and the stock rating of 10k max RPM at the spindle, the motor would have a stock max speed of 4000 RPM and that is running at 24V. 4000 / 24 = 166kV

Sorry, rpm gets me excited.

Connected the VESC to the stock Nomad spindle motor and ran a successful FOC detection. Then proceded to run it through to max rpm @ 27.2v, 5,039

So 5,039 x 2.5 = 12,597 rpm at the spindle

15.1 max amps X 27.2v = 410 watts?

1 Like

9 Likes

@Moded1952 wants to replace the ESC in his Nomad.

3 Likes

@Julien

Most recently this escalated into the stock Nomad 883 spindle motor being controlled with the VESC. I was able to run it from 360 to 5,039 rpm.

Power
Broader rpm range
Edge finder capable
Bolt on

4 Likes

So what do folks think, should I go for VESC or ODrive?

I’m also entertaining the idea of replacing the motor but it seems troublesome to find one small enough to fit in the stock Nomad enclosure while giving any kind of meaningful benefit…