Business tax deductions

There is obviously more to the state tax law for individual states. I attempted to be as simplistic as possible about the importance of sales tax. If the amounts you are mentioning are different one better know why and can account for it. In the state of Michigan the first question is reported sales and any deductions need to be indicated based on their noted criteria.

I donā€™t know why one would carry a customer deposit as income. I carry them as liabilities until the job is invoiced into sales accounts.

Man you guys are way above my head. I could only hope to have some of these problems at this point. Hopefully getting set up with the accountant will put me on the right path.

Interesting that of all the videos out there on starting a CNC side gig, none of them seem to address issues like these. So, either they are all skirting the law or donā€™t want to say anything that could later get them in trouble.

Itā€™s really no different than any other business though so I guess more generic information on business startups is worth exploring.

Probably donā€™t want to get into a lengthy conversation or be liable if you say something incorrect, short version, itā€™s not worth getting into :slight_smile: Someone will watch, say they followed your advice and then probably sue you when something goes wrong.

2 Likes

I will note that the local Chamber of Commerce will often have resources for assisting folks in getting a business started.

1 Like

Thanks. I will check to see if we even have one :joy:

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.