Buying used furniture to scrap for materials

I regularly check out the want ads and see live slabs and other wood for sale for hundreds of dollars. Then I come across a kitchen table set for sale, 6 foot wide table with chairs solid Oak, great condition 100 dollars…
Has anyone ever purchased used furniture and scrapped it for materials?
I am considering it.
Thanks…

2 Likes

Matthias Wandel on YT has been dumpster diving for years. He took apart a lot of furniture for his projects. You may also want to go to the thrift store and look around, I’ve seen furniture items for pennies on the dollar.

2 Likes

I’ve picked up some free pieces by the side of the road and so cut them up — I’ve considered buying a few, and probably will resort to that in the future — “brown furniture” as it’s called is quite out of style, and much devalued.

I am thinking the quality of some of the wood I am seeing is higher then what I can buy in a store aged dried non warped wood. Large table tops…
For instance:
Marketplace wood table

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve done this with different tables and stuff before. I have a friend who has a second planer we use to strip the finish off too which is nice (wouldn’t want to do it on one with good knives on it)

2 Likes

I have bought a lot of hardwood lumber at Habitat for Humanity Restore in the past. People donate all kinds of lumber and junk furniture that you can repurpose. I have also bought a lot of shop tables and chairs and other useful things for my shop at HFH. If you have one in or near your city it is a good place to get useful things and you are helping a worthy charity.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.