C3D Corner Square w/ Hybrid Table?

I bought the C3D Corner Square for my Pro XXL, hoping it would help align 2-sided machining and repeatable operations. Maybe I just don’t get it (entirely possible), but there doesn’t seem to be any way to line this thing up so that all 4 screws can go into the hybrid table. Am I missing something here?

2 Likes

came across this awhile back while looking at them this might help. This link is from the product page for the Corner Square.

2 Likes

I saw that, but it doesn’t address the problem. The holes for the screws are too far apart.

1 Like

Use the file to make a spoilboard or fixture plate which has this in place, or directly machine holes into the MDF filler strips and then install using threaded inserts.

3 Likes

Nah you got it bang on, C3D missed something on this one :slight_smile: Mine sits in a drawer. Has never been used.

3 Likes

Say rather that we designed one thing (the corner square), then designed another thing (the T-track hybrid table) — we’ll have to see what the team works out here, though the current one would fit pretty well — just needs a pair of spacers and leaves a hole unused or a place where one could use a threaded insert:

Alternately, one has a machine which one can use to make (and modify things) — machine a hole in the square which fits the hybrid table?

7 Likes

Sure…but then, If he wanted to manufacture his own, he could have done so originally. Instead, he chose to purchase a square from Carbide because he was willing to pay for something that was created by the manufacturer of his machine - to get the accuracy and usability that a home-gen company product has. The fact is, everyone who has a Sxx, has the ability to make all of the hold-downs Carbide sells - so maybe Carbide shouldn’t sell them?

The RIGHT thing, in my opinion, would be for Carbide to create a square that fits the Pro table and provide it, free of charge, to all people who purchased a pro and a square from them (and, by the way, I have no horse in this race - I made my own square).

7 Likes

A block of aluminum to make such a square out of would most likely cost more than we charge for the square, so there’s that.

Yes, the ideal would be for us to make a suitable thing — problems here are:

• selling off the existing stock of squares — a v2 would limit their sales to only existing SO3 owners and folks who buy the SO4 w/o the Hybrid table
  • designing something which can be made efficiently enough that we can profit by it — I’m pretty sure we’d want to design in supports underneath so that it’s all one piece and that would require a thicker billet since I doubt this would sell in a volume which would justify a die for extrusion

but the above is all baseless speculation — this sort of thing would have to be addressed by @Luke or someone else involved in production — until then, may we suggest:

3 Likes

I created my own version of the Pro T-Track system on my SO3XL/HDZ, ensuing that the MDF inserts were all identical in size and mounting holes. I then created a hole pattern on the inserts that is a combination of multiples of the Carbide Corner Square ‘V1’ and the straight edges that come with it, so I can mount these in various positions on the machine. I’ll share the CAD file for this here… there are various versions, plus a ‘whole machine’ setting out drawing showing the hole relationships between adjacent inserts - which too match the Carbide Corner Square hole spacings.
These are in Vectrics VCarve: SO3XL_T-Track_Versatile.zip (1.2 MB)

2 Likes

It seems like at least an edit to the store page is in order to clarify that it needs to be bolted down to MDF and doesn’t align to the hybrid table? That’s easier than designing the product again, and then customers won’t come in with incorrect expectations about the product.

10 Likes

Yep, mine too.

I designed the spoil board for my SO3 XXL with 2" centres for the threaded inserts and t-track every 4", so this square doesn’t fit.

There must be one at least CNC machine in the Carbide 3D stable this will fit though, surely?

1 Like

I just posted my corner square, Y axis alignment, and 4 inch axis aligned cutting jig to thingiverse. You might find it useful.

3 Likes

Good idea. We just added a note to the product description.

9 Likes

Why not simply post a CC design that a user can create using the purchased equipment. I would love to see that for the waste board slates for the Pro.

2 Likes

Im sure the file included from the product page on cutrocket would be pretty easy to adjust for the pro slats. To be honest would be much easier removing the slats on the Hybrid tables to mill a couple holes and put in the threaded inserts rather than having to do the same on a threaded waste board set up/ Shapeoko 3 standard beds where as the entire surface board would need to be removed to add the threaded inserts.

1 Like

When I made mine, I took the Myers design that I had used to create my waste board and removed all but one corner of the holes. That guaranteed that my holes were going to line up to the wasteboard. Then I just designed a right angle polyline along those holes and created the toolpaths to cut it out.

Then, I cut it in two jobs - one to cut the holes in the right angle material, then, after using those holes to fasten the right angle material to the waste board, ran the second job to cut the right angle. That guaranteed that the right angle would align perfectly to my gantries with the angle attached using those holes. Pretty easy.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.