Can I do this (and not regret it later)?

I wish to create a rectangle with internal radius’ed corners using a V-cutter, by the way I am using Vcarve desktop. From what I can see a V-cutter will not follow a single line toolpath but needs a ‘channel’ to follow. If I create this ‘channel’ in Vcarve desktop it isn’t possible to keep the radius’ed corners a constant width:

Now the question: can I define the toolpath as a profile cut using a single line but use a V-cutter in the spindle. The depth of cut would have to be carefully adjusted but it seems a reasonable assumption that this should be possible. Or will I regret it after or during the action?

A follow path w/ a V-bit to a reasonable depth should be fine.

Thanks Will, that’s what I suspected.

To be clear, you are cutting through the material first, last or is the v-cutter doing that? You can use most cutters for line following in an outside corner.

The traditional advantage to the v-carve path is the sharp inside corners it can make. This doesn’t seem to have them - you simply want an outside bevel around the board. A following a line should be fine.

Try to create an inside offset of 2mm from your outside vector with sharp corners. That should maintain equal distance.

If you select the V-bit to follow a line, you will not get sharp outside corners.

1 Like

Biologyben Ben
To be clear, you are cutting through the material first, last or is the v-cutter doing that? You can use most cutters for line following in an outside corner.

No Ben, the V-cutter is doing all the cutting

Lewscrew Craig
Try to create an inside offset of 2mm from your outside vector with sharp corners. That should maintain equal distance.
If you select the V-bit to follow a line, you will not get sharp outside corners.

Yes I had forgotten the rounded outside corners, thanks Craig. I’ll see how it all goes

FWIW, it’d be easy enough to get accurate geometry for this in any drawing program — just draw the centerline, set it to a 2mm stroke, then expand the stroke.

VCarve has an “Offset selected vectors” action (first icon in the Offset and Layout section, looks like a blue square surrounded by a dashed red line). This should keep the constant width around your inner shape.

2 Likes

Thank you chaunax so easy when one knows how. I am pretty new to CNC and very new to Vcarve. This Vcarve is an excellent application I love it already and I only know a small percentage of its capabilities. Incidentally the project has worked out well. Thanks to all for your help.

1 Like