Can’t find a drawer pull made from hickory...make one on your SO3

(Lake Forest, Ca. ) #1

I was wandering around my favorite hardwood supplier last week, nothing in particular in mind, just looking for something interesting to inspire me. I found some 4/4 “rustic hickory” and thought it would make a nice side table for our patio set. My lady has been requesting just such a table, so, in the interest of marital harmony, a project is born.

All done but I need a drawer pull, made from hickory. Well, I guess it could be brass or oak. But why not hickory, you’ve got the tool for it.

So, a few lines in F360, extrude, a few fillets and, a drawer pull is born. A top and bottom CAM setup, some spoilboard placeholders, a bit of blue tape and CA. Tops cut, now to flip and cross my fingers.

Stay tuned…

12 Likes

(Lake Forest, Ca. ) #2

Well, the cuts worked out ok but the boss decided she didn’t want anything interfering with the asthetics of the (clever) slightly off center placement of a rustic feature in the drawer front.

So, I suppose we should delete this post since it has nothing to do with creating with a Shapeoko.

But the thought was there…

2 Likes

(travis) #3

Haha - over ruled! Out of interest (for a newbie) can you please elaborate on how you were intending to ensure you got the piece positioned perfectly when you flipped it so you couf route the backside please Griff?

0 Likes

(Lake Forest, Ca. ) #4

@scottybeefs, check this link to Vectric: http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V9/selectedvideo.php?video_id=92. It’s a tutorial that includes two methods to accomplish two sided machining.

You might also want to try out V-Carve, a lot of us here use it.

2 Likes

(travis) #5

Thanks Griff, will check that out. I plan to check out Vetric later down the line, at the moment though Carbide Create is meeting my learner requirements.

0 Likes