Can the SP3 print verticallyish (like hanging on the wall on an angle)?)?

I woulds like to save some space by mounting it to the wall at an angle of 45 degrees or a little more. It would have to pretty steep but not totally vertically.

And before someone suggest to just try it, the project would be a little more complicated then a complete vertical mount. A bracket would have to be made and mounted, I’d have to run new power, computer, etc. It’s not a simple experiment.

Ed

See discussion at:

for the “running it vertically” scenario.

45° orientation would maybe alleviate some of the concerns. My opinion is that while it is certainly a fun experiment, you should probably not expect it to work flawlessly from the start, just because it was never intended to be run that way, so there will be surprises along the way (just an example: you would need to be really sure that your router is all the way to the “bottom” (right end of the X axis) before turning off the machine…)

3 Likes

Ed

I did not design the Shapeoko but I am an engineer. Julian is making sense as usual. Setting it at 45 is not going to be a whole Lot of problem for the X and z axis As there is not much additional pressure on those two stepper motors.

At 45° The Y stepper motor is gonna have a lot of pressure on it as it carries all of the X and z hardware. When the Y axis move back there’s a lot different pressure than when it moves forward. You’re probably going to have trouble with Y axis accuracy and holding the Y axis zero point. Also you’ll probably going to burn up The Y axis stepper motor. It was not designed for this kind of load. This also may violate any Warranty

I do like the out-of-the-box thinking and I like new ways of doing things

Good luck making sawdust

3 Likes

I was actually thinking the same thing, that’s why I thought I would ask. At 45° it doesn’t save that much space either. I have a CNC laser and I am mounting in a pull down shelf. It one that sits inside a cabinet and you pull it out and it slides down and is level the whole time. The laser is a lot lighter than the SP3. I’ll pull the bottom wire shelf off and attach a board to mount the laser to.

I should have probably figured out how to mount a laser on the SP3 router mount but I would like to be able to use the fourth axis to burn things on round objects.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.