Can't wrap my mind around 3d modeling

@fenrus Well done working this out!

I am missing something though - I cannot see how this can work when it is actually cut out.

If you cut “Layer 1 2d pocket” (Your Name) first then it removes all the stock that should be under the bits of “Here” that do not intersect with letters in Your Name to a depth of 0.1" - so there is now nothing left of those parts to “round over” in 3D if followed by “Layer 2 2D pocket”

If you cut “Layer 2 2d pocket” (Here) first then it removes all the stock that should become the rounded bits of “Your Name” that do not intersect with letters in HERE to a depth of 0.2"

However the Simulation renders it perfectly as it is desired… which also puzzles me if what I say above is correct. Perhaps the 3D modelling toolpath generation is sophisticated enough to work this all out in the background - in which case it is really non-intuitive to me!

Have I simply got this wrong - or is there an additional boolean operation(s) needed between Layer 1 and Layer 2 and then that is used for the actual cutting toolpath which is then followed by your two finishing paths and then Cutout ?

What am I missing here?

suggestion: disable all toolpaths but the first, look at the simulation
then reenable one layer at a time and see it being built

I’m happy to explain but do not exactly understand your concern yet

also remember this is subtractive, so each toolpath removes a little more towards the end result

@fenrus yes I did that - and see that it works - there is something “magical” going on in the model that I still do not understand properly. Clearly Layer 2 toolpath knows about the text on Layer 1 and therefore leaves the stock. That must be the non-obvious (to me) “magical” bit that surprised me - the creation of the 2 model components affects the Layer 2 toolpath that I did not expect.

To help me - what is the cut order of the toolpaths - I may have moved them around now by accident

It seems so much easier to take the Fusion 360 approach - pick a surface and then extrude it in or out) to get the levels (layers) you want in the stock. To me that is highly visual and natural. Whereas CC is non-intuitive to me right now - but I guess I will eventually get their way of working in time with more hands on experience…

@fenrus
Ok I get it now… you had already done the boolean join of Here and Your Name before the start of your instructions - and I assumed you had not and that is what I thought the 3d modelling did with “magic” that i did not understand.
No wonder you did not understand my comments … lol

still - I think this 3d approach in CC is rather cumbersome.

Hi I fully agreed with your assessment. I have the PRO and it is not naturally intuitive plus no good instructions. I almost regret acquiring the SW. Fusion 360 seems a lot better from what I keep reading here and there.
Thanks for your question, the received answers did help me as well.

Please see:

and

and

If you get stuck on something, let us know at projects@carbide3d.com and we will do our best to assist.

Thank you for all of those instructions. I will read them and cut away.
This chat group is very good and offers great support. Will keep you posted and as posted, if I have question , I will ask.
I’m not a fast wood worker…this is a hobby after all that i would love to help to grow.
My Best Salutation.