Carbide 3D belt tension accessory

It could use a little touch up on the design, but it works. I used two m3x18 boots to clamp the two parts together, and a M5x25 bolt for the tensioner.

1 Like

Thank you for posting the photos. I had a feeling it would rack a bit due to the offset pulling forces. Glad to hear itā€™s working!

Iā€™ve never 3d printed anything. Will the plastic hold long term, or will it relax or warp over time under that tension?

Iā€™ve been working on a thumbturn-style tuning design for the belts on my machine. Havenā€™t cut it yet but seeing your design has helped.Thank you very much for sharing

I think it should hold fine. Unless you subject pla to high heat, you should be good. Iā€™ve never seen petg warp after the initial printing. Iā€™ve seen 3d prints under much more strain than this and they hold up greatā€¦ Especially with no moving parts.

Got an idea to prevent the offset forces? The screw just has room in the hole to tilt.

Iā€™ve been playing with designs for this that put the pivot point up high, with a thumbscrew somewhere in the middle of the pivot for tension. The bottom holds the belt against or near the rail. This requires adding an extension backstop to the 1/2ā€ thick front plate, so the upper area has something to mount or press against. Iā€™ve gone through several designs but I havenā€™t cut anything yet so nothing practical tested

Some drafts in the picture below. Originally i was thinking the top had to be a mechanical pivot but more recently iā€™ve been thinking that this might be achievable with a sandwitched plate that slides as itā€™s tightened. In both of these Iā€™m not using the hole in the front plate for the tensioning screw, Iā€™ve got another hole above it. Iā€™ll probably use that hole instead as a locating hole for the extension.

Probably far more complicated than this idea deserves, but i really want to be able to tighten with a knob or thumbscrew. Iā€™ll probably use a locking nut behind the thumbscrew, which isnt shown here.

2 Likes

Essentially the same ideaā€¦ Use a screw to pull something holding a belt.
I have some M5 thumbscrews that I thought about using, but with this machine being around a lot of people I donā€™t think Iā€™ll use them. Thumbscrews ask to be turned by anyone that sees them.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.