Carbide Create 400 Beta

I can now see why my machine was doing what it was doing. What this is supposed to be was a sign that said “the Heilman’s”. I have switched back to Version 3.16. Not sure if that messes with the files. Here is the .nc file saved from the beta:

%
(TOOL/MILL,0.1,0.05,0.000,0)
(FILENAME: )
()
G21
G90
G0X0.000Y0.000Z52.883
(TOOL/MILL,6.3500,0,1.0000,0.0)
M6 T201
M3 S8333
(TOOL/MILL,1.5875,0,1.0000,0.0)
M6 T112
M3 S3125
G0Z52.883
M5
M30
(END)

If i am reading that right it was trying to move Z almost two inches from zero.

here’s the .c2d:
the heilmans.c2d (2.8 MB)

Thank you

Just as a note, you have the origin at the bottom, and a Safety height of 0.394in:

which should equal the Z52.883 mm move.

I tried to open a V401 file with V316 and the file was all messed up. This is understandable since the file format has apparently changed somewhat but this also creates some issues as we are not being warned when opening the file and the file extension remained the same. I can see some issue for example on CutRocket where someone not on version 4 will try to open and produce a project that was created with V4.

1 Like

Fortunately, v402 adds an SVG export option.

1 Like

Version 402 Just to Add to the conversation , i just ran across the undo the ctrl +Z did not work but if you go up to the menu and tell it to go back it works fine . Thanks for Improving Carbide Create .

2 Likes

Thanks for mentioning that! I’ve added it to the list of things for us to check on in CC402.

EDIT: and it should be fixed in the next build.

1 Like

Whoa! I haven’t tested on the machine yet but this version appears to handle open lines, as advertised! Yea. Thank you, thank you!

Now, if only it would respect the size of SVG files created in Affinity Designer.

2 Likes

With this mention on the CC 400 page:

One potential workaround is to use the QDarkStyleSheet approach here:

It’s not tied to a specific Qt release (eg Qt 5.12.x), so it gives flexibility and works cross platform. It’s what we went with, and seems to be working out decently. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@WillAdams @robgrz I recently (this week) updated my system to Mac O/S 10.14.5 and it seems to have triggered an issue with Carbon Create 4. When I open the app, CC starts loading, the little wheel icon turns, the icon bounces but CC does not open. I have to use force quit to stop the process. I tried 4.02 and 4.03 and neither will load however 3.16 loads just fine except that my CC 4 files won’t open correctly due to the change in the file format I presume. I restarted my system to no avail.

Let us know at support@carbide3d.com and we’ll try to have a developer look into it.

Unfortunately, I can’t help on the Mac stuff — last Apple product I bought for myself was OPENSTEP 4.2 and I’m still waiting on them to make a real replacement for my Newton MessagePad.

1 Like

I was testing out 400 this morning and noticed that Ctrl Z does not undo operation. You can go to edit tab and click undo manually but short key is not working.

1 Like

On another note

Scaling

in carbide create 316 you can enter scale factor and just cycle the enter button to continuously re-size, until you get your desired scale. Nice for maximizing space on material. And really quick.

I do this to get maximum footprint… scales I typically use are 1.1 or .9 just to get image to fit all spaces

However in the new Build 400 you cannot cycle the enter button to do this, after inputting scale factor and hit enter you must re-enter the scale factor to continue… This must be done each and every time.
Very Time consuming

2 Likes

Sounds like the kind of thing where scrolling the mouse wheel (while in the scale factor setting) to update it live would make for a quick + effective way to find the correct setting. :slight_smile:

1 Like