Carbide Create and DXF files

I’m having a problem opening DXF files in Carbide Create. Nothing shows up. The file was created using Autodesk Inventor 2019, and converted to DXF. The DXF file is displayed correctly in 2 different viewers but still doesn’s show in Carbide Create. Appreciate any help I can get, thank you.

The community has the following notes:

• it may help to use the OVERKILL command to eliminate any overlapping or intersecting paths before exporting from AUTOCAD
  • if lines have different elevations, use FLATTEN [17]
  • PLINES are intrinsically joined, and should be used where appropriate [18]
  • AutoCAD 2000 DXF format (model geometry only, base model scaling) export from the desired face (not isometric view)
  • 2004 Lines

Further discussion at: https://www.reddit.com/r/cad/comments/77x98n/whats_the_best_way_in_autocad_to_make_line/

Textures in Autodesk Fusion 360 seem not to work.[19]

It is also possible to fix a DXF by opening it in a program which parses it correctly, then saving out in SVG format which has a stricter definition, and fewer ambiguities on import.

One technique for this is:

• open in LibreCAD
  • export as MakerCAM SVG
  • adjust as needed in Inkscape or some other vector editor
  • save out as SVG from Inkscape

Post the files here or send them in to support@carbide3d.com and we’ll do our best to help.

2 Likes

I’d like to apologize for being lazy. I thought using what I know would be much better than learning a new piece of software, so, I was using Autodesk Inventor 2019 to create my first project. I wasted 3 days trying to export my work to Carbide Create with no success. Today, I decided to go through the Carbide Create tutorials on the Carbide3D Guides page. It took me 45 minutes to understand and see how easy Carbide Create is, and it took me another 45 minutes to create my project and generate the gcode. I love Carbide Create, and I think it will save me on time spent on creations compared to Inventor, or Fusion 360. I’m writing this reply while the S3 is working successfully on my first creation. Special thanks to Mr. Adams.

3 Likes

Glad you got things up and running!

You should be able to use the CAM in Autodesk Fusion 360/Inventor — it’s supposed to be quite powerful. We have some basic notes on it here:

I was a 3D Studio instructor for almost 5 years. It’s a shame I failed to import a small module to Carbide Create, but after knowing Carbide Create inside-out “I think”, I’m gonna be flying, and nothing will stop me. “I hope”. LOL.

1 Like

My first project is a uniq dust boot. Since I hated the Vacume Hose being in the front, I moved the hose to behind the HDZ. Also, I think attaching the boot to the Z movment is not good. My boot will be attached to Mr. Beaver’s Dust Boot Ears, which will make it free from the Z movment. I’m also adding a decent LED Strip to be able to easily see what the cutter is doing. I just cut a sample from a scrap piece of wood and it came out perfect. I am working on adding the grooving for the LED Strip and adding some tubing to direct the sucking force close to the cutting area. I will be posting detailed pictures of the final Dust Boot, done from half an inch clear acrylic sheet hopefully tomorrow night.

1 Like

Check this out A New Dust Shoe - "Dust Jet"

2 Likes

Hi @ispot,
Can you share the ipt or dxf that failed to import?

1 Like

@neilferreri Here is one
final concept assembled2 v1.dxf (1.5 MB)

@luc.onthego That’s amazing and very strange. My idea is very similar to what that Dust_Jet is, with the addition of the LED Strip, and extending it to be mounted behind the gantry. Completely out of the way. I am also trying to add some small tubing to direct the air sucking force to the cutting bit, trying to make sure that the vacuum won’t miss anything.

@ispot I just looked at that DXF, and I’m pretty sure it is not a 2D profile. It looks to me like you captured the side profile of a 3D model, possibly multiple parts.

DXFs, for import into a program like CC, are meant to be 2D XY closed shapes.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.