Carbide Create (beta 283; 2016-01-15) - Problems? Issues?

I download the new CC (beta 283; 2016-01-15) - Mac running 10.11.2 here - and look around.

Saving the default project creates a “.c2d” file. Make senses - 2/2.5D stuff. Look inside. Stuff is there, stuff I expect.

Simulation looks good. I press “Save GCode” and I get an EGC file. That’s a “GIF Creator project file”. I go to look inside - I want to see the G code - and it’s some encrypted/encoded document. I was expecting an “.nc” file… or at least a file with obvious G code source in it.

How do I run GW-Editor on this?!? I check all my G code via simulation before running it on a machine… plus I read G code and inspect things often.

I “clear drawing” and make my own. Simulation looks good. Saving the project creates a “.c2d” file. The first few times I tried this the file was empty. Repeating, I see that things are OK. Probably my drivers error.

I don’t use C3D machines tools - sorry, I have my own - how do I add them to the tools database? I need to be able to enter data like number of flutes, coatings and such.

mark

ECG in the new ‘binary’ format.

Thanks @FlatBaller! Ah… What new binary format? :confused:

So I don’t get to see the g code? Is there a way to see the G code? Do I need a new version of CM to deal with this?

How do I run GW-Editor on this?!? I check all my G code via simulation before running it on a machine. I never trust simulations from within CAD/CAM. I’ve seen CAM problems that looked fine there but the G code was wrong… too many times.

mark

I don’t see a way to do nested pockets, where I can make a pocket to a certain depth then make a pocket within the pocket but start machining from the depth of the first pocket.

Otherwise, CC is pretty nice!

mark

I believe the thought was you need CM to run jobs from CC, so to keep it limited to licensed users

I believe the thought was you need CM to run jobs from CC, so to keep it limited to licensed users

I understand but this means that many of the widely used G code tools no longer work. Is Cutview going to the only simulator that will read this format?

mark

I don’t have any simulator that reads this format

I don’t have any simulator that reads this format

Me neither… which is exactly the point. :wink:

When you load the .c2d file in Carbide Motion, you are then able to see the G code and copy it out for testing (So you can save it into an .nc file with a simple text editor).

Once it is loaded, click on the file name at the top of the main window to bring up the G code. I’m not at my home machine or I’d give a screenshot. Hope that helps.

2 Likes

When you load the .c2d file in Carbide Motion,

I took that to mean the “.egc” file. :wink:

Thanks @Owen! That did it!

That was - and still is, at least to me, unobvious. This is a workable solution… but I still don’t get it.

The binary representation of G code is not likely to be smaller than UTF8/ASCII. In fact, it could easily be larger. That said, as a UTF8/ASCII file it can easily be compressed.

I would rather have an “.nc”, just like out of MeshCAM. YMMV.

mark

I’ll apologize up front for topic drift, but I’d also like to see MeshCAM return to an ASCII format for the tool table. I agree with Mark that accessibility/usability should take precedence over “efficiency”. I miss being able to maintain the tool table using a text editor (and have asked Rob several times about that)

Randy

2 Likes

I’ll apologize up front for topic drift, but I’d also like to see MeshCAM return to an ASCII format for the tool table.

Here! Here!

In fact, I’d like to see the tool table set up differently too (all UTF8/ASCII) data:

A) A “pure” tool table

This has only tool characteristics. There is a field for leaving notes.

B) A material table.

This identifies a material (e.g. HDPE, 6061, brass, etc). There is a field for leaving notes.

C) Feeds and speeds table.

This has a pointer to the material table record, a pointer to the “pure” tool table, a field for leaving notes, the usage (e.g. hog, rough, finish, fine finish) and the feeds and speeds.

By “pointer” I mean a field that a “relational join” can be done on. Often ,this is the record number within the table (e.g. material number, tool number).

This way each tool appears once in the tool database. The feed and speed for the tool with each material is unique.

I miss being able to maintain the tool table using a text editor (and have asked Rob several times about that)

With today’s processors, memory and storage devices, saving data in UTF8/ASCII - given that the size of tables is small (hundreds, not tens of thousands of records) - is surprisingly efficient (in space), easy to process (simple grammar), and human readable/editable.

mark

1 Like

Text will/may disappear if repeatedly/quickly clicked on.

Still no warning to save on close.

Can’t believe the Clear Drawing button is a good idea.

Need to close path when clicking on first node.

What’s the difference in the polyline and bezigon tools? Both are closed.

Without playing with it yet, I’d guess the bezigon is made of Bezier curves instead of line segments

Is there a list of the keyboard commands anywhere? I was really frustrated trying to move things around until I tried control+G for grouping and it worked.

With regard to the tool path demo… specifically in reference to the through cuts. You may want to throw in a caution since it appears that CC does not yet support tabs. Oh by the way… please support tabs soon.

1 Like

Yes, yes!

Construction tabs
Nested pockets
Enter your own tools

mark

A new topic. Imported SVG file has issues.

1. Upside down
  2. Mirror image
  3. Not all vectors made the import journey

Additional Info…

Image began life as an .ai file. Converted by loading into Inkscape, then save as svg. It loads into Inkscape without issue and seems to render fine as an SVG file.

I can send you the original file if that helps.

Thx… Ed

On the Mac version:

• I can’t find a way to delete a selected vector. Selecting and pressing delete does nothing, and I can’t find a delete button or menu item anywhere.

• being able to incrementally move a vector with the arrow keys on the keyboard would be great–staple feature of most vector programs and super useful.

1 Like

Try the other delete key (you may need a desktop keyboard or to tap FN or some such).