Carbide Create doesn't launch in macOS

I’ve been using CC on this Mac for several days without issue. When attempting to launch today, I’m having issues.
macOS 10.13.6
Macbook Pro (15-inch, 2017)
I tried both CC builds 313 and 316.
When I launch the app, I get the splash screen, the app icon in the dock indicates the app is active, but I never get a window. Activity Monitor shows 0 CPU use with a spike to 2% ever 15-30 seconds. I get the following in the console:

Type Time Process Message
default 19:25:00.107532 -0500 Carbide Create UNIX error exception: 17
default 19:25:00.113784 -0500 Carbide Create UNIX error exception: 17
default 19:25:00.116791 -0500 Carbide Create UNIX error exception: 17
default 19:25:00.119731 -0500 Carbide Create UNIX error exception: 17
default 19:25:00.122272 -0500 Carbide Create UNIX error exception: 17
default 19:25:00.125435 -0500 Carbide Create UNIX error exception: 17
default 19:25:00.675682 -0500 kernel AGC:: [Carbide Create pid:923 mux-aware] starting, non-mux-aware app count 0 WS-ready 1 switch-state 0 IG FBs 1 EG FBs 0:0 power-state 6 3D idle HDA idle system-state 1 power-level 20:20 connect-change 0
default 19:25:00.675811 -0500 kernel AGC:: [Carbide Create pid:923 non-mux-aware] starting, non-mux-aware app count 1 WS-ready 1 switch-state 0 IG FBs 1 EG FBs 0:0 power-state 6 3D idle HDA idle system-state 1 power-level 20:20 connect-change 0
error 19:25:01.875008 -0500 Carbide Create AEGetDescData of non-desc type ‘reco’ not a good idea
default 19:25:08.546073 -0500 Carbide Create LSExceptions shared instance invalidated for timeout.

It’s working on 10.14 ok for me on a '15 MBP retina 15". 10.14 came out yesterday, did it install automatically on this machine? I’ve had cases in the past where I have needed to reinstall the same version of CC again after an upgrade.

1 Like

I work in Mac Book Pro and my desktop iMac 27" System High Sierra 10.13.6 and I don’t have any problem . I use Windows too I all my computers and send to any platform whit-out problems , work whit CC and CM 2 years ago .

Ok. I have a minor update.
Launching from the dock or .app fails. I found that if I run:
sudo /Applications/Carbide\ Create.app/Contents/MacOS/Carbide\ Create
the app launches correctly. However
/Applications/Carbide\ Create.app/Contents/MacOS/Carbide\ Create
and
sudo open /Applications/Carbide\ Create.app
will not.

I ran opensnoop to monitor file access to see what may have bad permissions. Running it both ways is nearly identical except when using sudo there are several access of /etc/master.passwd. Not sure if that is a byproduct of the sudo.

So it’s obviously a permissions issue, but I have no idea how to fix it.

I’ll strongly recommend you remove it and reinstall.

2 Likes

I’m deleted and reinstalled a both the beta and the current stable version. Same behavior.
Since there’s not an uninstall script for macOS, is there anything other than the .app itself and the content under ~/Library/Saved Application State/com.yourcompany.Carbide Create.savedState that needs to be removed for a clean uninstall?

Try this - Create a new User as an Administrator - Install under that user and see if it will run there.

1 Like

Interesting. The app works under the new user. No a long term viable workaround, but may help in diagnostics.

I have a separate user on most of my systems called CNC. Something in the environment is the issue, you could try to look at what has been loaded or updated since the issue began and remove it all, then put it back one at a time until you find what is causing it. I find a separate user easier to maintain.

1 Like

Hmmm, sounds like you might need to change the ownership of the installed application’s files, to work around some weirdness? eg something like:

sudo chown yourusername:yourgroupname -rf /Applications/Carbide\ Create.app

It’s been ages since I did anything in depth on OSX though, so you might need to double check those -rf options in the man page (eg man chown). It’s possible they need to be -RF or something instead. -r should be “Recursive” (eg do all the files inside the folder too) and -f should be “Force”.

1 Like

FYI, I still haven’t figured this out. I went as far as cloning my HD and upgrading the clone to macOS 10.14 with no luck. At least with a cloned drive I can be as destructive as I need to be. I’ll post an update if I make any progress.