Carbide Create Doesn't Retract for Drill Holes

I am using Carbide Create Build 530 (Mac os version) and I created a separate gcode file for my drill holes by disabling the contour cuts and just generating gcode with my drill holes enabled (per the documentation).

However, for drill holes Carbide Create does not generate a retraction prior to moving to the first hole, this cause the bit to slide all the way across the surface of my piece (luckily it was just a test piece).

For example, if I enable either of my contour cuts the first move is:

G0 X75.445 Y117.926 Z12.700

Notice the Z12.7 that retracts the bit away from the piece (that is default distance in the project setup).

However, if I have my contours disabled and just leave my drill holes enabled the first move is:

G0 X162.296 Y74.321 Z0.000

Is this expected behavior that there is no Z retract prior to moving to the first drill hole? Or is this a bug?

It’s probably a bug — could you post the file?

Check if it happens in the new beta?

https://carbide3d.com/carbidecreate/beta

I have attached the project. I have a couple of nonsense toolpaths in there because I was testing different ordering.

If the tool paths are ordered: VCarve, Drill 1, Pocket then the first move is generated:

G0 X162.296 Y74.321 Z0.000

If the tool paths are ordered: VCarve, Pocket, Drill1 then the first move is generated:

G0 X24.295 Y123.926 Z12.700

Also, if you disable everything except one or more of the drills it will also be genrated as Z0.000

I will give the Beta version a go and report back.

retractBug.c2d.zip (9.0 KB)

The behavior is the same in the beta (Build 611).

BTW, the design view in the beta with the red marks that shows you your cursor coordinates on the ruler is pretty cool. Very handy, hope it stays that way for the release.

Was this ever confirmed to be a bug?

What geometry is the Vcarve toolpath supposed to be associated with?

Seems to be fixed (or different) in 614.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.