Carbide Create uses only 2 dimensions?

Carbide Create is referring to “width” and “height” when talking about the X and Y axis. Why? The Z axis is clearly the height. I’ve been through all the videos and can’t find any way to specify the Z axis dimension in a design.

I bought the Shapeoko 5 Pro with a VFD spindle. Am I using the wrong software? This is a CNC machine that will move in all 3 dimensions. What am I missing?

Z-axis is Stock Thickness in Job Setup.

You will then be able to assign tool movement relative to the Z-axis in Toolpaths.

What do you wish to make?

How do you wish to approach it?

I expected the software to calculate the toolpath from a 3D design (within the limits of the hardware, of course). Software to do this has been on the market for well over 10 years. Why are the toolpaths not automated?

It looks like you do offer this but you charge more money for it. So this $5,000 3D CNC machine can’t import STL files or work in a 3D design environment unless I pay more money? Please explain how this is appropriate and why it was not disclosed before the sale.

I’m curious what cnc equipment you’ve seen that comes with a CAD/CAM package that does what you described.

That’s actually the case with all cnc machines on the market, both hobby and professional. No one gives away there cad/cam for free other than C3D’s 2D software. Also they are the only one that I know provide free controller software.

1 Like

3D toolpaths are a fair bit more advanced. you get into weird and wonderful work holding situations, even more so if you get into flip jigs. GL on your journey if you have actual questions I think you’ll find people here are more than willing to help you out.

Fusion 360 is free for hobbyist. Lots of fancy toolpath options there. Much steeper learning curve as well. I pay $15/month for carveco maker which has a 3d relief toolpath. Pretty sure there’s a 90 day trial that you can get for it.

We list what comes with the machine on:

and the software pages points to:

which mentions:

Combine the power of 2D sketching and machining with 3D simulation…

and notes:

Check out Carbide Create Pro if you need 3D design and machining or if you don’t have a Carbide 3D machine.

and the various shop pages note:

When you’re ready for more advanced projects, you can upgrade to our Carbide Create Pro software to generate full 3D projects, either of your own designs or using files from a third party.

We do have a page which lists free software options:

https://carbide3d.com/learn/free-cnc-software/

Or, you could also use:

https://fenrus75.github.io/FenrusCNCtools/stl2nc/stl2nc.html

FWIW, for a long while the machines came w/o any software at all, and my first project on my SO3:

was done by:

• drawing the design up in Macromedia Freehand MX
  • exporting two separate vector files
  • importing one vector file into FontForge so as to make it a character in a font
  • using that font with F-engrave to do the V carving
  • importing the other vector file into a Flash .swf, MakerCAM (now off-line) and using it for the balance of the cuts

Most of our Shapeoko customers just do 2D projects, and we have a fair number of Nomad customers who don’t bother with Alibre Atom 3D or MeshCAM, doing only 2D work.

1 Like

Thank you for the responses and perspectives from everyone. You have educated me on how things are done in this space. As an engineer and software developer without CNC experience I am coming at this for a different point of view. Things like reading an STL file and working with it are certainly not technically advanced in other industries. And anyone who feels more automated toolpaths are too complex haa a well founded opinion based on experience. But I disagree. lol. The good news is that the personal CNC experience will be improving a lot in the years ahead. There are technologies in other fields that can be applied here.

I’m sure that the licensing of “intellectual properties” is a big deciding factor in the cost of software.

For a look at a long-standing tool for importing an STL, assigning stock, and setting up toolpaths see MeshCAM:

The CNC Cookbook folks who resell it have a fair bit to say about it:

This looks like the ticket. Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.