Carbide Motion build 566 crashing

Anyone else getting random Carbide motion crashes? This has happened on quite a few jobs I have been running, about half way through a job it just crashes.

Run the same file again. No problems. Seems totally random.

Really sucks when you are 1.5 hrs into a cut and walk back into the shop to just see the spindle spinning in the material not going anywhere.

Also…I just noticed on the latest crash that my zero is way off now. Tried to restsart the file and my cut is about 1.2mm off in the Y direction.

This is really unsettling as I have now basically wasted an entire day machining this material and I can’t finish the project since re-zeroing is not possible.

Please clarify about “crash” are you getting a disconnect or is the program closing and disappearing? If it is showing “Connect to Cutter” then it is likely a static discharge. If it is static there is lots of advise about grounding and so on here on the site. If the application CM is closing that is different and you could be running out of memory. If on Windows open up Task Manager and see when you are operating what your memory and cpu usage is. If you are on a Mac then someone else may chime in to check your memory and/or cpu utilization. For a windows machine hit Ctl Alt and Delete at the same time and choose Task manager.

The program is closing and disappearing. It’s running on a dedicated windows laptop that only runs Carbide Motion. no other programs, not even WI-FI connected.

You may find some events in Windows Event Viewer. Win 10 & 11 click start, type “Event” without the quotes and hit enter. In Event Viewer choose “application events”. Search through there and see if you see any events for CM.

Sometimes Event Viewer is helpful sometimes not so much.

Good luck!

1 Like

Grab the latest 567 from Carbide 3D . We added a crash reporter that should get a butter debugging information when a crash happens. Be sure to submit information and include your email if it crashes again.

1 Like

Awesome! Thank you Rob!

Be sure and get the latest 568. We got part of the bug reporting wrong on 567.

Again, if you get a crash, be sure to include your name and email in the report.

1 Like

How do I find the crash report? I’ve updated to 568 and just experienced two times where Motion has closed while running a job. I restarted Motion but I don’t see anywhere to find a report?

Did you get a popup from BugSplat?

No pop up. Motion was running the job, then just closed, machine froze with spindle running. I shut off the HDM, restarted Motion, restarted machine. Do I need to install BugSplat? Or is that something built into Motion?

It’s built into 568 and later on Windows.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.