Carbide Motion on a Raspberry Pi

One more build before the weekend at https://carbide3d.com/carbidemotion/pi/

I think we got the gamepad working on the Pi, and when we build this on for Mac, it might fix gamepad support there as well.

2 Likes

ohhh and amazon delivered a nice gamepad for me the other day :slight_smile:

now it needs to deliver me a touch screen for my pi so that I can test the autodetection of that (code is there, just I cannot test it)

2 Likes

Game pad, or game controller?

Thus far game pads have required keyboard remapping.

Just ran the update and confirm the gamepad works. Had this one laying around after a RetroPi project was completed.
8Bitdo SN30 Pro USB Gamepad for Switch, PC, RetroPie, Raspberry Pi (G Edition)
BTW: This was right on time…I was just about to start fighting with AntimicroX and QJoyPad and try to get it to build on the Pi. Compiling Qt5 natively on the Pi has been a challenge.

@fenrus, I wrote a quick update script for my machine. I think I’ll refine it a bit and send it over to you to QC. It’s been a long time since I was writing Bash scripts.

A few other notes from my two weeks of testing this:
Running it on a headless Pi4 4GB with @fenrus image using realVNC and my iPAD as the monitor/touch screen. So far this has been working quite well. The previous lag time was due to my Wifi setup and not the Pi or the iPAD.
If anyone is curious to know, you can run it headless if you change the default resolution to anything other than the default. I’m currently running it at 1024 x 768 and running CM maximised instead of full screen.

The other thing that I discovered is that the screen blanking (default in Pi) will sometimes cause the WiFi and the screen to freeze up, so I installed the screensaver package and turned off the screensaver as well as screen blanking in the raspi-config app.

2 Likes

be happy to look at it; I was going to cook something up tomorrow when I’m like not-at-work :wink:

Please note that that gamepad (the 8bitdo SN30) is actually/registers as a game controller:

Copy all of that and that is consistent with what I just observed on the Pi. now that I think about it, I am not really sure I understand the difference between a gamepad and a game controller.

A game pad has buttons, a game controller has joysticks and buttons.

Logitech F310 is the only controller we test. If that model is discontinued then we’ll find another cheap option to recommend.

Others may work but there are just too many to test so we picked a cheap, readily-available model.

3 Likes

So, does anyone have feedback from the last build before the weekend? Everything working ok?

1 Like

I got it installed on my 8GB Pi4, headless, using the image provided by @fenrus. Ran a 35 minute operation drilling holes in my washboard for screw inserts. Jogged it using the game controller. No issues with any of the operations. During my testing, I ran a 13" display and the resolution was fine, but I could hardly see it with my bad eyes. Update the Pi to use 1024x768 so I could get the realVNC to connect headless and it worked fine. My display was my iPad Air (4th gen) running over realVNC. almost no lag now that I have my wifi fixed.
Created the project files in CC on my Mac mini and uploaded the files to the pi via the Samba share set up in the image.
So far, so good.

4 Likes

I am really happy to see this is being worked on. Thank you!
I dusted off an old Raspberry Pi 3B+ (only 1GB RAM), clean install of latest Raspberry Pi OS, connected old 1440x900 monitor and controlled with Rii i8+ Mini Bluetooth Keyboard with a touchpad. Installed nothing except Carbide Motion and Samba file server.
Threw together a design full of random shapes and pocket tool paths. Was able to push that file over the network from CAD PC to the shared folder on the Pi.
Spent some time clicking all the buttons in Carbide Motion (GUI and keyboard shortcuts) then loaded the file and let 'er rip. 30+ minute process without any issues.
Great job. Thanks again.

2 Likes

hi ! i instal carbide.deb all i’s ok but i can’t change the area size X.5.00 Y.5.00 from original download . i choise my machine and the good size (XL 800X400) but after send configuration data carbide don’t change the size… so i can work 5x5 cm …somebody can help me please ?

Send the Machine configuration (set the Travel Dimensions under “Load Defaults”), see:

1 Like

Rob,

I am very sorry I did not post. Yes it is working. I made some things. See screen grabs.

Everything is working as desired. I have a webcam running so I can watch from my easy chair inside the house, rsync moving the files from my mac to the device, touch screen is working. I was able to crash the entire thing a couple times but that was my knee hitting the power button.

My only complaint is wood is not free and I have to work which is hampering my design time. Do you have a fix for those bugs?

Thanks!

T

5 Likes

very thank for your help its just i dons see the bottom of the windows i change my screen just for do “reglage” and now its ok !!! YOUR THE BEST :slight_smile:

1 Like

thank very much is perfect

1 Like

There’s an OK button at the top of the screen that you don’t see. You’ll need to move that settings window up to see it.

I think we’ll have to see if we can make the inner window scroll and limit the overall height to keep the OK button visible.

I also think it makes sense to start in full screen mode if we can tell that we’re on a small (7") screen so we’ll probably do that in the next build.

3 Likes

New build at: https://carbide3d.com/carbidemotion/pi/

• (NEW) Program starts in full screen mode if running on small screens.
  • (NEW) Toggle full screen button in Settings->User Interface.
  • (NEW) Settings window changes size based on screen size.
7 Likes

if you’re detecting small screens, do you also want to auto-detect touch screens?
(not complicated to do)

4 Likes