Carbide Motion on a Raspberry Pi

Assuming the MacBook is only used to run Carbide Motion, yes, except that you also can’t launch Carbide Create to verify information about a design’s setup (I try to put that all in the filename for the .nc file, and upload the .c2d to CutRocket where it can be checked as well).

Correct, you’d need to get out the other computer used to run Carbide Create.

I just started with my Shapeoko and still trying to dial it in, but I started a google Doc sheet, I have been putting in a lot of my cut data. started doing something similar when I got my first 3d printer and it had be a huge help as a look back on project or materials I don’t use much.

1 Like

And, doesn’t the Pi would support a gamepad?

That’s a good question — I think @fenrus was successful with one on the Pi — I bought one (8bitdo SN30 Pro) but am still waiting on a touch screen to get going w/ my Pi. Wrote up what I learned using it in Windows at:

1 Like

you can remap keys on gamepads; the OS sees them as proper input devices/etc… need to check the latest builds since rob says he improved things.

with a joystick device (more complex than a simple gamepad) it just worked…

2 Likes

Also you dont need a raspberry pi to use their os. If you have an old laptop or pc you can install it. Works great for old laptops that are no longer fast enough for windows, or if you have no window licenses.

3 Likes

Finally got home to read all of these posts! Thankyou so much for making it fit the 7" screen!!!
Seriously cant believe how quick that all was. Installed it all last night and it works great.

Thanks again

3 Likes

Thanks for the report Scott.

You can use the OS on your laptop but it’s not an Arm CPU so CM for Pi won’t run on it.

2 Likes

Tried the download but it does not work, it says not available on this server,

Did you try the link at:

https://carbide3d.com/carbidemotion/pi/

I’m jumping on board here too…

My linux is pretty rusty, but if this is a deb file does that mean we install the operating system then install the deb package through from the Carbide3d page Will just linked?
Is this OS suitable?

Got some directions for a Rpi gumby?

Just received my Raspad:

Seems straight-forward enough to assemble (take care to open up the slot for the ribbon cable for the micro SD card to insert it)

To install the .deb file, just download it, then open it — Carbide Motion will get installed under Graphics (which I find a bit confusing — Accessories would be a better fit?)

Before you do that though, be sure to update using

sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade

&c., see:

if any adjustments are necessary.

I’m thinking one of these in my revamped shop https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Planar%20Helium&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&ap=Y&gclid=Cj0KCQiA-aGCBhCwARIsAHDl5x8ao1bqp46-DLu4wskWJafm_M1nXe4Xzu4qAqqm7RUbawCJ_-2Df9EaAsV6EALw_wcB

I found references in the RPi stack exchange for a Planar Systems monitor, not this one. You Pi heads out there, any reason it wouldn’t work with a Pi4?

2 Likes

Should work fine. The 23.8" should make the UI elements large enough that they are easy to press.

2 Likes

Thanks.

Yeah, LightBurn is unusable, for me anyway, on a 10” touch.

1 Like

Thank you for linking this. while it is too big for my application it did lead me to be able to find one that was not!

2 Likes

This is really cool. I have a couple questions though. How do you get files from your PC to the raspberry pi and has anyone had any luck with touch screen?

There’s various methods depending on your level of tech savy.

Some options:

• USB Flash Drives
  • Cloud Sync Services (Dropbox)
  • Shared folder on your network

I personally go with the latter option and have a hard drive hooked up to a spare PC running on my network creating a “Samba share”. My Windows PC mounts it as a network drive, and the Raspberry Pi mounts it at /home/pi/shared.

If you also use Windows, you could share the folder and then mount it on the Pi. Caveat is that it would only be accessible when your Windows PC is online.

Happy to help if you want to go that sorta path.

1 Like

so you said Dropbox. would something like google drive work and just have it synced to my laptop and raspberry pi

I don’t believe Google Drive has an official Linux client, so you’d probably have to look at something like: https://www.insynchq.com[0]. Not sure if their software works on ARM though.

You could also open Google drive in the browser on the Raspberry Pi and download the file that way, but it wouldn’t automatically “sync”.

edit: [0] looks like it does: (LINUX) Insync on Raspberry Pi | Insync Help Center but requires some setup.