Carbide Motion on a Raspberry Pi

do you happen to have amazon links to either of them? I never bothered with gamepads for CM myself since I got one of those mini wireless keyboards early on…

but to answer your question more abstract; need

1. to make sure the kernel supports the device
  2. the device nodes get created on the filesystem with the right permissions (so that the “pi” user has access)
  3. Make sure the SDL library gets it
  4. Make sure Qt then sees it

not too complicated if you do that sort of stuff all day long. if you dont; it can be daunting

but easiest to do with one in my hands :slight_smile:

1 Like

The units I’ve been trying to work with are:

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Bluetooth-Controller-Classic-Joystick/dp/B018K3Q4KS

and a generic like to:

for the latter see:

Amazon seems slow lately… will know wednesday/thursday what it really takes to get this to work

1 Like

@robgrz any chance of getting a 64 bit build to try?

Is there anything that is actually rpi specific?

I have an nvidia nano dev kit. It is arm64 running 64 bit os. I know most rpis are still running 32bit but 64 bit has been in Beta since May.

Have you tried installing a 32bit runtime environment? Here is a Jetson forum post about running 32bit apps in 64bit mode:

1 Like

From that thread… “…This is a long and painful process.” …“Probably your least painful method of working with this is to have the source code in 32-bit and port it to 64-bit. You won’t find the package manager directly supporting 32-bit applications”

So i think i’ll wait for a 64 bit build. Might be a while… but if it happens i’ll gladly help test. I’ve got a jetson NX (from work) i could try too.

I think Arm support is a good move for Carbide3d. New macs are arm and inexpensive arm devices running linux are becoming mainstream and are a really good fit for a dedicated control box for the shapeoko, nomad etc

2 Likes

Hi, your image worked great but having some other problems, I connected to WiFi okay but then it said I had no internet connection when looking for updates, does Eth1 take priority even if it isn’t connected?

How do you Quit Carbide Motion?

I can’t seem to be able to get to the task bar at all and I tried Win key and I was able to get into some stuff but not where I can fix the network problem.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Raspberry Pi 3B with Raspberry Pi 7" touch screen and mini Keyboard.

Thanks,

Jeffery

try F11 or ALT-F11 to get out of full screen
(this is what I was worried about with full screen versus maximized … it’s less obvious how to get to the rest of the system)

I have a spare Rock64 SBC with RK3328 ARM and 4GB RAM poised but I have the same 32 vs 64 bit build situation. Theoretically possible depending on the 32 bit libs situation but don’t quite have the time to get it to go. RPi would be the expedient method - best get one on order I suppose

Thanks, ALT-F11 did the trick.

I have an older 3B it installed just fine and started, havent had time to test it yet.

Is there anything that actually requires the 4?

I’ve not found any, but I have only tested on a 4

EDIT: DOH!! It is not a touch screen!!!

So I just got this touch screen off Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NNXH2SS

Going to be installing @fenrus 's image this evening and testing out that screen. It definitely seems to be a good fit for a CNC terminal.

1 Like

Ordered this one instead:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082HWF2HW

1 Like

let me know how it goes, and what you think of the full screen (vs maximized) option
and if you hit any bugs or things you’d like to see different

Overall I am very impressed.

First boot had some strange issues in the menu I noticed. The icon for the menu was missing, and the terminal and file browser icons were a “file not found” style icon. After a reboot everything showed up properly. I did install the OS updates from the config thing so those might have fixed the icons. Not sure.

The big thing though is I think full screen is definitely a no go, at least for me. I will be using this with a touchscreen. Having to dig around for my keyboard so I can press Function-Alt-F11 (I have a keyboard with a function key needed to use the F# keys) is a major pain. I plan on controlling my ODrive based spindle from Linux if this proves stable so being able to launch other applications is important.

I also somehow managed to get stuck on a blank screen when trying to press Function-Alt-F11 the first time. My guess is I ended up on the wrong virtual terminal or something by pressing the wrong key combo. I could not figure out how to get to the correct one so had to hard reboot. This seems like something that could happen fairly easily for a Linux novice. Would be awful to happen in the middle of a CNC job.

I would honestly rather have the Carbide Motion launch normal sized on start up and have to maximize it than have it launch full screen.

Other small things I notice / would like to see:

1. Carbide Motion is listed as a Graphics application which struck me as funny. Not that I can actually think of a better place to put it.
  2. It would be nice to have a minimalistic web browser installed. Something like QupZilla, NetSurf, or Midori might work. Something that does not use much space on disk, but also would allow users to get to the forums.
  3. Some useful URL links on the desktop or the menu would be nice like the forums.
1 Like

ok that’s two votes against full screen so far; I’ll undo it for the next image

browser… yeah I guess so. browsers are security bug nests at times though which always makes me cringe a little. I’ll poike.

the “Graphics application” is something @robgrz selected; while I could whack it into a different spot, better to fix it right at the source

2 Likes

Agreed on the bug nest front. Minimal browsers have smaller code bases and less features so they are smaller targets. At the same time something like Chromium is updated frequently and is used as a base by so many other browsers that security bugs are generally caught and fixed quickly.

I was about to suggest Chromium (even though I am not a big fan of it or any of its implementations) because it is pretty stable and secure for a browser. I like the idea of linking to manuals/FAQ’s directly on the desktop.

1 Like

Another vote for chromium, the smaller browsers are almost always broken on newer websites. Often they use newer html features and polyfill for older browsers but the majority of testing is done on more recent browsers so bugs are often not caught or ignored…