Carbide Motion Script Capabilities

Are there any plans to add script integration to carbide motion? There are a lot of simple ad hoc tasks where a script would be very useful. For example, I use the cnc to surface wide boards, and my current work flow is to measure the board, and then go and generate code to navigate over the rectangular path area. This is annoying because it is actually slower (but less tedious) than just manually navigating the CNC over the board. This could be completely replaced by a script that takes the inputs width, height, DOC, and WOC.

The obvious work around is to just generate g-code files from a script, and then load those into carbide motion. That is what I’m currently implementing, but it’d be a nice feature to for it to be integrated into a controller. I know this is niche, and a small QOL improvement, but I was curious if it’s even on the roadmap.

The latest beta versions of Carbide Motion introduced “Quick Actions”, which are user-defineable G-code snippets. So while not what you are looking for, they may be useful as a workaround (e.g. you could have a macro for surfacing over an X/Y/Z area, and “just” edit it from within CM to match the X/Y/Z values you just measured. This could be somewhat quicker than going back to the CAD computer and re-generating a gcode file).

From this discussion, actual scripting might not be on the horizon yet.

2 Likes

I’ll take a look at the beta version.

Another solution you may consider is to allow gcode to be pushed to carbide motion over the network or by a process on the same machine. It’s a more concrete implementation over the abstract macros/scripting requests. I imagine a python script with console prompts would be more than adequate for 99% of tasks.

In my actual job, one of the software packages we uses implements an API (ADS DataLink) for sending data back and forth between python. This reduces the burden on your software development, and really opens up a lot of doors…

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.