Carbide reading my lines as 2

Yes, use the image as traced and cut as a V carving — that should afford even greater detail than following the center-line as a no-offset contour.

That worked awesome!
I feel like something in cc stops the depth of the v carve if the width of the bit exceeds the line it’s trying to cut. Is that true?

Correct. A V carving will only cut as deeply as the V tool can cut. If you need to exceed that width use an Advanced V carving.

Depending on your Inkscape version…
V1.1 - [Path] [Trace Bitmap…] [Centerline tracing(autotrace) ] (below Brightness cutoff).
Before V1.1 - centerline tracing is an extension under… Images? (from my memory).
Then go to ‘node mode’ and connect dangling nodes - make straight lines curve a bit like nature intended, etc.
Then convert to gcode or, like I do, use J Tech Com.Laser Tool and then edit the file - change laser power to Z values.

Inkscape can make gcode?

There is a plug-in, gcodetools:

If you zoom in on the image Inkscape, ( vector selected) you will see the two lines there as well

1 Like

In Inkscape, zoom WAY in and move one of the nodes - you’ll see that there are two lines superimposed.

Ohh ty I will try that!! Thanks !

Late, I know. Gcodetools hasn’t been supported for around 10 years, although there are English and Russian language websites that sometimes can get questions answered. I used it when it was new and shiny, today there are much better tools for generating gcode including Carbide Create. I had to make some changes to the python source to fix some gcode header issues (LinuxCNC at the time), but that was around 2010 and I no longer remember what they were.

There has been talk in the Inkscape forum about removing the gcodetools extension, since it uses an older version of python and nobody wants to take over support. I haven’t really followed up on that for some time, so maybe something has changed.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.