Carving a bowl shape in CC Pro v5

I realise this feels like a repeated post but I have been through endless “bowl” posts and they pretty much all say it is impossible in CC Pro. All of them talk about Fusion and Vectric but I want to use CC Pro.

I was wondering how to do it. My steps so far are

1. Design a circle
  2. Create a model shape Round
    So far I get this which looks good

Add a 3d roughing toolpath

At this point all I get is a strange upside down bowl at the bottom of my wood.

there’s a checkbox to invert the meaning of the colors on the screen where you add the PNG…

In order to subtract you have to start with a component to subtract from:

Attached.

bowlsample.c2d (1.8 MB)

2 Likes

Oh I seeeeeee, thank you!

Whilst we are here, my roughing toolpath (tool 201) takes 225 minutes based on exactly your model and hardwood. There is a lot of stuff on bits :worried:. but are there any “quick wins” that reduce this noticeably?

I have a surfacing bit which is like a giant propeller. Assuming I knew how to add this to CC (another mystery), would that be a potential solution?

it means your depth of cut is likely waaay low… can easily be 0.08" with this bit

1 Like

I think a ball-nosed endmill will cut this more quickly — run a separate Pocket toolpath to surface w/ a #201.

For adding tools see: Adding tools in CC440 and later

Thanks for helping me out. Here is result of an old cross grain chipping board turned into a bowl. I pretty much sat and stared at the machine for 2 hours!!

Now to work out how to carve the underside…

1 Like

Should just be a matter of offset geometry and some slightly different dimensions. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.