Carving out significant depth, having random problems

Shouldn’t the BitZero be lit up green if the unit is powered on and it is connected?

Sorry, this is the picture after I turned it off because it was lit up red and didn’t stop being red. If you’ll notice, the probe is touching at the first point, and it didn’t leave that point. Once it hits that, the probing cycle fails and I have to re-initialize the machine. Since I had been working at it for over an hour at this point. I just turned the darn thing off and walked away.

Anyway. The pic was to show where the probe failed and the hollowed out part of the workpiece that is, as far as I can tell, the only difference in the probe attempts between the 4 differed t attempts that I tried.

Sorry I should clarify, it hits the first point, acknowledges (if you will) that point, and then attempts to move to the second point, and then fails. It’s a very clear difference between failing during the first point and failing as it’s trying to get to the second point.

On a side note, I tried to just zero the x and then the y separately, and the x was successful but the y failed. I do t know what that means.

Thanks!

Hard to tell from the picture, but is there a chance that the endmill is low enough into the hole that its tip touched what appears to be a metal fence on the left of that piece ? It’s a wild guess, but that setup and the fact you mention that the bitzero LED was permanently red seems to indicate that something close the electrical loop that the controller uses for detecting contact, while the endmill was travelling to the right ?

Side notes:

• zeroes are preserved when the machine is powered off, so you may not have to redo the zeroing at all.
  • in situations where using the bitzero for X/Y zeroing is a problem for any reason, you could eyeball the X/Y, possibly with a vbit to help aligning the tip above your zeroing point, and then change tool and zero Z only using the probe placed fully on top of the stock, potentially elsewhere more convenient.

Ah, I’ll remember the zeroing for another project. I already zero’ed multiple times in multiple places so my project isn’t remembered. I’ll see what I can do for this so that I can salvage this piece. It’s been very frustrating but I’m definitely learning and that’s been good too.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.