Carving Photos with Carbide Create

Hello Everyone! I am relatively new to the CNC World. I bought my Shapeoko XXL in October and have been teaching myself Carbide Create and the ins and outs of the machine. I’m stumped on this though, carving 3D images, that is, taking a black and white photograph and carving it. Can anyone shed some light? I can get the photo into Carbide Create but the 3D toolpaths look rough or grainy. Any help or tips would be hugely appreciated!

Thank you!
Ashley

Do you have an example image (or link) of the end result you’re looking for?

1 Like

This is the original image. I’ll post the simulation separately since I guess I can’t post two images. It took a VERY long time to get this result. The image is currently 12"x12" and set to take almost 6 hours to cut, which seems extreme to me. I’ve been hearing that I’ve reached the limits of Carbide Create and should be looking into purchasing VCarve Desktop to use PhotoVCarve for these types of things.

This is awesome.

Can you tell me what program you used and the technical name for what you did so I can search for a How To video on YouTube?

FYI - each day I feel I get smarter at this hobby and each day I realise how much more there is to learn. My only reason for not feeling intimidated is that even the veterans on this forum ask questions.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.