CC Pro - How does out of bounds modeling work?

I’ve experimented with different CNC design software but keep coming back to CC-free because the tools and workflow seem the most logical. (Vectors are more powerful, but tend to be a lot more tedious.)

Recently, I decided to take the leap to CC-Pro, so my apologies if my comments seem naive. I like the add and subtract model but have found one anomaly that leaves me with several questions. I think my questions are best illustrated by a simple example of modeling a 4-sided pyramid with concave sides extruded directly from the base of the material.

Attempt 1: Subtract a square with a round surface, then add the same square with an angled surface. This doesn’t work, even with a positive base height on the subtraction. Apparently, a subtraction isn’t going to be useful as the first step in any model?

Attempt 2: Initially, add a square with flat surface of sufficient height, then proceed as with Attempt 1. This works but the height cannot be altered later following committing a component by clicking “Done”. This also means that the base of the pyramid is above the bottom of the stock. which was not my goal.

Attempt 3: This time I tried to modify Attempt 2 by using a height of zero on the initial flat-surfaced square. However, this is not allowed by the interface.

Attempt 4: SUCCESS! Add a flat-surfaced square of height z > 0.001, then subtract the same flat-surfaced square with the identical height z, then subtract a round-surfaced square, and add an angled square.

Questions:

1. Why does Attempt 4 work, but not Attempt 1, since they are conceptually equivalent?

2. Why can’t a component height be zero?

3. As I understand them the base height and height seem to be additive (for an added component), a base height can be zero, and a base height can be modified after a component is committed. Are there other differences?

4. Why not treat carving below the bottom of the material consistent with carving above the top of the material? At least “Show 3D” doesn’t show any subtraction that goes below the bottom, but it would be helpful to visualize this. Does this restriction mean that given proper zeroing models cannot carve below the bottom of the material?

This really doesn’t answer your question but I’ve been trying to make some YouTube videos on how to use cc pro.

The channel is”Stephen k cox”

I hope this is helpful

1 Like

Stephen,

Yes, I found your videos a few days ago. They may not answer my particular questions, but they are definitely helpful for those of us investigating how cc pro modeling works.

Thanks.

1. and 4 aren’t equivalent — one has to have something to subtract from
  2. Because a component height of zero results in a model of zero thickness
  3. Base height is an optional addition to the height of a component which allows one to adjust its vertical persotion
  4. because there isn’t stock below the material to cut. One can cut lower, but there isn’t any 3D model or stock to show the cutting — you can see the toolpaths though.

My overriding question is… Why not treat all uncuttable surfaces in a similar way? An uncuttable surface below the stock is quite useful (necessary?) when other components are layered on top of it. It is as though CC pro is attempting to guess which models don’t make sense, like a model of height zero. It is fortunate that CC allows the “trick” of adding a component and then subtracting the same component. However, this seems unnecessarily awkward.

Furthermore, visualizing surfaces that extend below the stock would be extremely useful for layering surfaces. CC pro uses an unconventional modeling technique that I rather like. It lacks the flexibility of pure vectorization, but has an appealing simplicity. Still, the CC pro approach needs things like the Min, Max, and Equals options to improve flexibility. I’m just suggesting another modification to what I believe will improve to the utility of this approach.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.