CM 579 + SO5 + Bitsetter what am I missing?

Carbide Motion 579
New Shapeoko 5 with correct cables
Windows 11

I followed the setup instructions and also the training in Configuring Bitsetter After setting CM to use Bitsetter, the machine goes to the correct location and then only does a Z- of a few mm from home position. Then CM errors out with “Probing cycle failed”

Not sure what I am doing wrong here

in carbide motion where it tells you active pins does it say probe or none?

EDIT:
Setting> Machine tab> under GRBL active Input Pins

GRBL Active input pins: Probe

Something must not be wired up correctly if it thinks the probe is active all the time.

Interesting, I unplugged Bitsetter an plugged in Bitzero V2. Enabled it in options. In jog menu, tried to probe Z. No Z movement and “Probe cycle failed” error

There was a problem with some of the wiring on the first batch of SO5s — if you haven’t gotten a package from us w/ replacement parts, check in at support@carbide3d.com — until then, disable the BitSetter.

The Shapeoko machines are all similar in operation. As @WillAdams suggested it could be a wiring problem. I have seen the thread in the SO5 thread. However on some machines the magnet on the BitZero is grounded and you will also get a probe error. So just make sure your BitZero Magnet is not touching. Will is likely right and I have seen how you fix it on the one of the threads for the SO5. I did a quick search but could not find it to link it here.

Thanks to Carbide3D, I received both the new @robgrz front plate extension and bitsetter cables during setup which I installed at first.

In trying to troubleshoot, I swapped out each of the cables one at a time. When I got to the “correct” bitsetter and the “incorrect” front plate extension everything started working! I tested both bitsetter and bitzero v2 (SO5 version) and they performed exactly as expected.

Very thankful for all of your help. Without a schematic to continuity test, swapping cables one at a time worked pretty good.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.