CNC Adjacent tools

Hi All! I am not a woodworker. I’ve purchased tools as I’ve needed them. I’ve got a circular saw, a power drill, a couple sanders, and a raggedy jigsaw that does just fine (It has a laser! lol). oh, and a couple Creality 3d printers.

As I’m looking at different project videos, I’m seeing a lot of CNC users jump to their this tool or that tool, or they pull out this accessory, etc. This is making my shopping list grow VERY fast, and I need to make sure I’m buying what I “need” and not what I think I need.

If you were in my shoes, what tools would you buy/build/make to support the things you make on your CNC? I’d love to hear your answers!

For starters, I know I need a workbench and CNC stand, and I know they need wheels. Besides that… What couldn’t your CNC Mill live without?

I would say the one I wouldn’t want to live without, for woodworking, is decent dust extraction, search the forum, there’s lots of threads about relatively affordable suckers like the DeWalt StealthSonic.

Other than that, what sort of projects do you have in mind? Are you cutting wood, plastics, metals?

1 Like

I just finished a post-secondary degree (at 38!) in Industrial design. So I would answer your “what are you cutting” question with “yes.” hahhaha.

I intend, though not right away, to be cutting wood, plastics, and metals, as well as varying types of hard foam (they called it proto-foam at school) for prototyping and making neat drawer organizing inserts.

Aside from the dust extraction, If you are not buying preprepared stock then a tablesaw, planer and Jointer are nice but that really adds up fast.

Bandsaw and drum sander are nice as well but again pricey.

Cheaper and needed are a good square, decent woodworking rulers, setup blocks perhaps, good wrenches for the machine.

Hand sander?

1 Like

Unfortunately that may mean the same answer to which tools you end up with on your shopping list :cry:

Prepare yourself for as many different replies as replies to your post :slight_smile:

It’s really going to depend on what project types you’re undertaking.

Wood projects from sheet material benefit from a track saw or table saw to break down material. If you can get a track for your circular that’s probably good, it can be easier to handle large sheet materials with a track saw than table saw.

If you’re working with solid woods you can buy Planed All Round (PAR) and avoid buying jointer / planer / thicknessers until they make sense.

Whatever you’re doing with wood, I’d suggest picking up a decent plane or two and learning to sharpen, set-up and use them. I picked up used Stanley Bailey No4 and No6 on eBay and gave them new irons. I also got a decent cheapish block plane which is invaluable. Once you’ve got a plane, you’ll probably want to make a shooting board which means you can hand cut stock and square up the ends without a mitre saw (as well as many other things).

A decent hand saw is also worthwhile, doesn’t need to be expensive, many people start with a basic Ryoba pull saw as they’re a bit easier to learn. On top of that I’d put a decent carpentry square, 2B pencils (preferably clutch pencil) and a steel straight edge ruler.

Metalworking projects, really going to depend on what sort of project, thin sheet materials or heavier 3D machining out of thicker stock, I use blue tape & superglue up to fairly large vices for workholding. Cuttting down stock can be more of a challenge with metals…

Plastics, you’d be surprised what you can do with woodworking tools and some single flute cutters.

Of the tools I think I got the most value from I’d say the Shinwa carpentry squares and rulers with the adjustable stops, the Pentel Graphgear clutch pencil, block plane and Mitutoyo digital caliper (yes you can get perfectly good alternatives cheaper but I use it so much and it’s a joy to use).

2 Likes

First, I agree w/ @LiamN — if you don’t have a dust collection setup, that needs to be the top priority.

If one doesn’t want to be a tool collector, don’t buy a tool unless you have a specific projec to use it on, and when considering that, evaluate all of your other tools to see if they could accomplish the desired cut — if one can, consider the tradeoff between using the current tool, and the one special-purpose bought.

The one power tool which I think should have foremost precedence to go with a CNC is a bandsaw — it will allow you to purchase thick lumber and then re-saw to thinner stock which will quickly pay for itself.

Further agree with:

• hand planes — a rabbeting plane can be very useful in trimming up a cut for certain types of joinery
  • handsaw — not sure if a Japanese saw is a good choice — an inexpensive western saw will do fine for breaking down stock
  • metrology gear is incredibly important — a centering rule can be useful for certain setups

I would add:

• if working with plastics or metal, deburring tools — the Noga brand is well-regarded
  • better quality wrenches for hte collets
  • a ratcheting tool, or at least a T handle hex key for workholding
  • I like a gamepad as a pendant: A different sort of pendant though I mostly use a TechKeys keyboard: NineKeyBoard CNC Edition – TechKeys
4 Likes

Will,

You are off my christmas card list, I had managed to completely forget about wanting a bandsaw…

4 Likes

A beverage holder is a definite must have. nothing worse then having your beverage of choice accidentally getting knocked over.

3 Likes

You will need to work up a project to cover your drink holder so as not to fill it up with sawdust, and chips.

2 Likes

Nah,

Just buy a compressor and set up a timed air blast to clear it :ninja:

2 Likes

I saw a post years ago that a guy made in jest about how his lathe was so smooth he could rest his glass of bourbon on it without issue. Of course he got flamed by people that thought he was serious.

I like to put my glass on top of the router and design my tool paths to bring it in reach every few minutes.

3 Likes

Also good quality files.

Using a CNC is woodworking. In the early days of CNC machines there were man magazine articles written that CNC work is not woodworking. Of course they also said that about power tools when the first became available. Woodworking is what ever you want to call it.

For me the tablesaw is the heart of my shop. To cut material to feed my cnc is important. I do not only do CNC woodworking and build everything from furniture, cabinets and boxes as well a shop utilitarian items. As you mentioned after cutting your cnc project you have to glue and finish up projects so that requires sanders and assorted sanding accessories. I have a 4.8HP SCM Bandsaw but that is overkill for a hobby workshop. Planners and jointers are important but you have a planner sitting in front of you called a Shapeoko. A router table with a split fence can edge joint. There are many workarounds to expensive tools that are not used all that much. There is limited space in most workshops so if you cannot go out then go up. Storage is important to help keep your shop neat and hazard free from falling and hurting yourself.

The bottom line is buying smart. Buy what you need. However buy the best quality you can afford. That way you only cry once and not every time you use a cheap tool.

Some things not mentioned above is your personal safety and the safety of your family. Before any tools you need a good industrial first aid kit. You need multiple fire extenguishers. You need eye and hearing protection and a good dust mask. You need those items before any tool in your shop because woodworking can be hazardous. Be a good boy scout and be prepared.

It is good to have a wish list but be realistic and prioritize the most bank for your buck. Buying a jointer may not be a higher priority than a table saw but keep it on the radar because you never know when you will find a bargain. If you are mechanically inclined used equipment is the way to go. However if you are not so inclined stick to new with a warranty. You can buy used woodworking tools on the cheap of good quality. They can be a bargain IF you know what you are looking for and can judge their overall fineness for purpose. There are a lot of broken dreams sitting in garages that people thought they would use and become places to stack stuff and dust collectors.

5 Likes

Suggest that you buy a CNC machine, likly would go for a 4 x 4 model as you will outgrow RAPIDLY a smaller machine. The reason is trying to build a cnc there
are exceptional skill needed within machnaics, electronics and a host of other complex inities. Choose a well know and reliable manufacuture such as carbide 3D or other well known brand. You will need a good path manufactures help and community forums for questions and help in your journey. May cost a bit more, but the frustration of a machine not working is beyond belief. hardware is one need as is the software to operate the machine. Carbide 3D is very proficient with both the machine they manufcture nd free software that is also provider to operate the cutter. Tom

2 Likes

I bet I’ll be back on the card list, and maybe even qualify for a present the first time you use your new bandsaw to resaw some inexpensive rough-cut lumber into book-matched pieces for some incredibly cool project.

I have had a wood shop for many years and the basic machines are the tablesaw(start with this one), dust collect(priority), and a good sander will get you started. Then just add to the collection as needed. That list will include:
18 ga brad nailer
23 ga pin nailer
16 ga trim nailer
compressor and hose (unless you go cordless)
miter saw
lots of clamps
router table or shaper for style and rail doors and edging
lots more clamps
and a lot of misc hand tools (including more clamps)

Out of all the bits and pieces I have added, the C3D Sweepy dust boot was the best “bang” for the buck.
I know that sounds too simple.

2 Likes

Funny you mention lots more clamps. Recently one of my woodworking club members came over to my shop. He remarked that I had a lot of clamps. I told him too much is never enough. I have a lot of clamps yet somehow it is never enough. I am a bargain hunter and cannot pass up a clearance table. Over the years Lowes got rid of Bessy clamps and got something else. I went to 3 Lowes stores and bought 24-56" parallel clamps for half price. I seldom pay full price but will if required. Then Sears had a sale of their parallel clamps that were made by Bessey. I bought all the parts they had and made 6 24" clamps. Those have a removable head so you turn the clamp into a spreader. Another retailer had Jorgeson 6" F clamps on sale and I bought a bunch of them. Never buy the cheap Chinese knock off F clamps because they flex too much. Stick with name brand clamps and you wont be crying.

So I agree you need more clamps. My woodworking is not confined to CNC work so I build everything from cabinets to furniture and practically anything made of wood. I also turn, scroll saw and have several types of dovetail jigs. So when I make a big project I need more clamps.

A clamp a clamp my kingdom for a clamp.

5 Likes

:rofl::rofl::100: I have a whole wall of clamps, a 5’ clamp drawer under my assembly table for full size doors, and 2 small clamp racks and I still have to look every time I see them on sale.

4 Likes

These are all great replies, and whoever said it is right: as many different ideas as replies. Also, I should have said “I’m not a woodworker…yet”.

But this reply was extremely helpful. I had not thought of safety at all, and would love advice on first aid kits to have in the shop. Maybe I should start a new thread, if there isn’t one already.

My primary plan moving forward is this: purchase the cnc, and other essential tools. Dust collection was on my list and is mostly taken care of; pocket hole jigs and glue for assembly; I’m also trying to understand what kind of air compressor I need; also looking at supporting tools like trim routers and nailers.

After spending this money, crying, and then setting up the shop, my goal is to start simple: signs, small gifts, and I may try my hand at simple furniture, (starting with enclosures for machines). I’ll also be prototyping and perfecting a design for eurorack (synth) cases along the way. The vision here is to use the simple stuff to generate income to support this goal, and eventually get to the point of focusing on and developing the synth cases further.

So to the comments: after dust collection and safety, I’m seeing either a router table, band saw, or table saw.

When looking at these tools along with planers and miters and jointers, what tools can serve multiple purposes, allowing me to not buy 8 tools right from the start?

This step here is kind of a risk/leap of faith in buying the cnc, so I want to be prepared, but also smart/responsible with my money (and my wife’s trust lol).