CNC Adjacent tools

If you build various jigs a tablesaw can accomplish edge jointing and a planer can accomplish face jointing. It just isn’t as easy. Although face jointing is limited to the width of the bed on the jointer or the planer.

So maybe skip both of those and use the table saw to edge joint and the CNC to flatten, but it will be a little more work and a lot slower on ports that could have been done on a jointer.

Your use cases would dictate whether that’s really a problem.

1 Like

The tablesaw can work as a miter saw and possibly a joiner if you learn some techniques. The tablesaw is always the center piece of any woodshop.

Indeed, I have a table and track saw, it is amazing how many things you take to the table saw and throw on a sled. (including 20mm 6061 plate which is quite scary). The track saw doesn’t get used anywhere near as much now.

Let me STRONGLY suggest that you take some lessons on how to properly use all those machines. If you have a Woodcraft store in your area that would be a good place to ask about classes. Wood working machines are very dangerous. I have known well experienced carpenters with missing digits because they were careless with the wrong tool.

2 Likes

I have some basic instruction in my shop class last summer, but you’re right, I think the first thing to buy after the ____ saw or other large fast moving blade is a class about that tool.

The best advice I ever got in shop class was:

Before powering on any power tool, count softly to 10 to yourself on your fingers reviewing each step of the planned operation and the forces involved and considering every way in which they could be applied to the stock and how it could react/move (including internal forces of the wood released by removal of material) and remember that you want to be able repeat that count in the same way after turning off the machine.

Sawstop wouldn’t have a business model if table saw accidents were tried by a jury of competent shop teachers.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.