CNCjs on RPi is suddenly unreliable

Even connecting to the RPi with keyboard and screen the Shapeoko is responding funny. Lagging. I’ve never seen this before.

It will home just fine but simple jog commands with respond slowly and sometimes stall and not respond till 2-3 commands are given.

No hint of this looks like a snappy, confidently correct CNC router. RPi control is broken in some way.

For comparison the machine moves just fine on laptop USB.

Flashing the pi with a fresh noobs not with standing, what are my options here?

login to the Pi, and use the “top” command to figure out what gremlin is eating up all the CPU…

My experience here is limited, but the only time I’ve seen the RaspPi act in a stuttering manner is when its power supply was inadequate. Plugging it in to a USB adapter with a higher wattage stabilized it in my case.

1 Like

@Julien top is sorted by CPU% right? root and pi are the biggest users at 1% each.

@Gerry I’m using an approved RPi4 wall wart that has worked for ~1 year outside no problem. But yes I have experienced the little lightning bolt when I first set this up.

2 Likes

Hmmm… I guess it is always possible that the Pi hardware itself is having an issue. This is straightforward to test if you can find another Pi and stick your SD card into it. Possible?

@Gerry The only other RPi4 I own is in an attic space far away reporting temps via twitter. lol.

1 Like

That’s… unexpected :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had the same problem, the Pi would typically lock when powering up Carbide controller, and choke during regular operation. Some kind of communications issue. Never did solve it, just plugged in another Pi. The original Pi works fine with everything else I’ve used it for. A number of references discuss USB issues with Pi’s, some hardware conflicts, as well as available firmware updates. I think it might have even come up on this forum at some point.

1 Like

To be clear, is this when the RPi is otherwise unresponsive?

Folks with a Shapeoko who’ve had issues with static or EMI, does this sound anything like what you saw?

@Moded1952 In this case the RPi was responsive and actively connected to the internet. Pining is used to confirm connection and latency.

When cutting rigid foam I had a rather amusing static buildup and a number of program errors. The errors were soft stops which could be resumed.

@Lowbrowroyalty Ok so flashing might not even help. I really hope it’s not a hardware issue. Any clue if sawdust build up could cause this?

My Pi’s is are all in solid aluminum cases, the case is heatsink, no fan. And I don’t really cut any wood.
Flashing might help, I never tried. The original Pi(purchased when 4 came out) has been attached to a DAC via USB and running continuously for a year or more I suppose, and has never hiccupped. Shapeoko controller would lock it on power up.

As mentioned, there were some updates concerning the USB on the Pi4 if I recall. Might be worth looking into.

Okay but what about my test suggestions from earlier? What exactly happens when the Pi becomes unresponsive? We still haven’t really narrowed the problem down to the Pi.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.