Community challenge #6: Creative Joinery (closed)

Here is a design concept… not sure if i will actually have time to cut it but i will see if i can this weekend. STL files uploaded for anyone else to play with.

CARBIDE CREATE JOINT - 250 inch dowel-3.zip (33.1 KB)

6 Likes

Yay for keeping the C3D logo theme alive ! :slight_smile:
That’s a creative joint for sure. Alternatively the “inner C” could be part of the lower piece, and the “negative C” could be part of the top piece ?

2 Likes

I actually started off that way, but I don’t believe its possible to keep it down to two pieces, and show correctly on both sides of the joint. Thats probably not important… but It drove me to this version for now.

1 Like

The C3D logo will be mirrored on the other side of the joint — an argument for not having it show there.

Alternately, mill the hexagon from two sides and have two Cs?

1 Like

it’s more upside down than mirrored :wink:

3 Likes

Here it is simplified a bit more…

STL Simple.zip (29.1 KB)

5 Likes

Exactly what I had in mind! :+1:

2 Likes

This with some Carbide Green resin fill would look sharp on 4 corners of a Shapeoko Bench… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Depends how you flip it.

@Sbedow7885 What is it for? Like, what’s your vision for the end use?

I really didnt have one in mind to be honest, but after I started to model it, I am thinking of making a new table for my XL and I think this would look good on the corners and be stronger than simple butt joints.

3 Likes

If anyone wants an idea for this challenge pm me I’ve got a doozie. You’ll need someway to vertically hold the work piece tho.

3 Likes

Here is a lighted shelf i made for over my desk. Its made from just some cheap scrap i had. The program i used was called Fingermaker. I looked for the link to it but i guess the programmer discontinued it. it was done with a 1/8" ball mill.

and here is some more of other projects.
Here is the legs i did for the Grand Lake table.

Sorry i don’t have a project file as it just output G-Code.

8 Likes

This is a test piece I made today, not a finished project, but I hope it still qualifies…

My goal is to make a table base like this:

Saw this challenge and thought I’d try to come up with a different joint, that would help with clamping and glueing the two leg pieces. Got some inspiration from those excellent joints shared on the links above. This was my first test:

I was surprised how well it fit on my first try, though still some improvements would need to be made.!

11 Likes

Quite stylish. Then again, I am a fan of midcentury modern.

One week to go!
I hope everyone is safe, and busy in the shop.

3 Likes

I’m stuck in the “Don’t have any more birch plywood, but don’t want to go out except for the once weekly shopping trip.” conundrum.

3 Likes

Which I can perfectly understand, I do the same (single short trip to get food once a week, period)
If you guys want to submit a “design only” if you cannot actually cut it, that’s fine with me.

3 Likes

Bump! 3 days left.
I’m afraid the theme wasn’t quite as inspiring as I thought it would be, mmh.
Fewer participants = higher chances to win something, just saying ! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I will try to put something together before the deadline that would be worthy of consideration. Not so much for the prizes, which are awesome btw, but to show my support by participating in these amazing contests that I appreciate so much. Hope everyone is well, please be safe!

3 Likes

In terms of work holding, this new Shaper Workstation may be a good source of inspiration, as they seem to have come up with some interesting solutions to common problems:

Not promoting this tool, by the way, just the design of the workstation seems pretty well thought out.

1 Like