Compact Router Run times

Hello all.
Just finished the setup of my Shapeoko Pro and its first practice piece to get oriented with the machine. I really like it.

Now I’m about to start a new project (a rather large one). A few of the processes require about 3 hours to complete. I was wondering what the Runtime-to-Break ratio for the compact router. I guess what I’m really asking is… “How long can I allow the Compact router to run without stopping?”

Thank you all in advance

It should run for as long as is needed to complete any given cut.

Failure modes are:

• worn brushes — how long these last varies widely by ambient temperature and dust
  • worn bearings — these should last for over a year of hard use

Naturally, if you have a failure w/in the warranty period (12 months) let us know at support@carbide3d.com and we’ll get it sorted out.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for this response. :smile:

There is a short breakin period for the brushes. With dust extraction and the built in fan the router can run for more than 12 hours and is cool to the touch. I did see on the forum that Makita denied warranty because it was used on a Shapeoko.

2 Likes

Daaanng…

Guess I’ll be staying with the Compact

How do I know when it is time to change out the brushes?

Sparking will increase and speed will fluctuate more than usual when starting up.

Sparking???

Where will I see the sparks. Probably need to turn off the lights to see it don’t I ?

In the air vents at the top of the router you can see the top of the motor which is where the sparks will be seen.

To make the brushes last longer: Put a sock on it©®™

3 Likes

@WillAdams : Got it

@BrokenEndmill : lol… In my head I read your post as “Put a sock in it” …lol
but I get the idea though… this acts as a kind of filter right?

Yes it does, @RichCournoyer can attest to that with extreme runtimes on his brushes.

2 Likes

6000 + hours on the first OEM set of brushes and 13 months (about) 1000 hours on the replacement set…that took about 500 hours to stop squeaking/fully seat…still running strong…the REAL question is when are the BEARING going to fail…shhhhhh.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.