Copying Elements on Multiple Layers

:frowning:

I’ve used AutoCAD for 30 years, and I write plugins to automate any task that I have to do more than three times!

That’s high on the todo list once we get V6 good enough to release out of beta.

If that’s the case, the copied items would keep their grouping hierarchy, but they would be new, separate groups from the originals. Am I understanding?

4 Likes

Yes. That is correct.

The only workflow that would allow copied elements to remain in the group from which they are copied would be one that allows you to select the nested elements independently of the group. This is also how Inkscape works.

1 Like

My vote would be for separate Duplicate function and Copy/Paste function.

Duplicate duplicates in place maintaining relationships.
Copy takes a copy of the shapes and lets you paste them onto a single layer.

1 Like

I do find it interesting about the nature of the Copy command in CC. It is on the Edit menu, and the shortcut is Ctrl+C. This would make Windows users assume that it is Copy to Clipboard, but there is no Paste, so I guess that nothing is actually going to the clipboard, and the Cut/Ctrl+X is actually Delete.

What was the thinking behind this? Why not have the copy command a button on the Transform toolbar?

If there was a proper Copy/Paste and the clipboard data was at the application level instead of the document level (even if not at the system level), this would solve another feature request that I saw where someone was asking to import elements from other designs. One could open a document, copy some elements to the clipboard, open a different design, and paste the elements to the destination document. Here it would make sense for the pasted elements to land on the active layer, although bringing over the dependant layers would also be helpful, and there could be a separate “Paste to Current Layer.” I would also expect the group hierarchy to be maintained.

If you wanted to get fancy, the clipboard data could be at the system level, and (at least of Windows) would post SVG, WMF, and EMF data to the clipboard. This way, data from other design applications, like Inkscape, could interoperate.

5 Likes